ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Welcome to the ULTIMATE AIR DOGS Message Board!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Welcome to the ULTIMATE AIR DOGS Message Board!
ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Judging by eye or by camera, which is best?

+15
bigyellowdog
JT
Kel
frodad
LoriL
stephz
LynnSWD
Intellabs
team sky
Team Maddy
jtallen
rocketdog
SKY Sr.
Rajah
Milt
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Judging by eye or by camera, which is best? - Page 2 Empty Re: Judging by eye or by camera, which is best?

Post by team sky Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:37 am

Tail, because it is not purina.
team sky
team sky

My Name : Brian Butler
My Pet(s) : Sky
Number of posts : 709
Pisces Dragon

Back to top Go down

Judging by eye or by camera, which is best? - Page 2 Empty Re: Judging by eye or by camera, which is best?

Post by JT Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:53 pm

ok ive never jumped with DD so i didnt know forsure how the did it i thougt i had seen them do it to the nose on som telivised DD events
JT
JT

My Name : jamie
My Pet(s) : mikey pb 18'6 uv5'6 , mavrick pb 16 something over 19 when he decides to jump. and Roxi 4 y old GSP she just cheers the boys on. and timber comming in 2010 to a dock near you
Number of posts : 406
Capricorn Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by bigyellowdog Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:32 pm

DD goes to the base of the tail like UAD - I think Purina is the only one who uses the nose (I could be wrong so someone please correct me if I am...)
bigyellowdog
bigyellowdog

My Name : Dawn
My Pet(s) : Ranger (the big yellow dog) sweet dreams my prince, Chase and Reuben
Number of posts : 303
Cancer Horse

Back to top Go down

Post by SKY Sr. Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:57 pm

I have tried to keep my mouth and fingers quiet here but for the life of me I can't anymore. I will simply state for the record that having experienced both types of measurements, camera and eye, I far prefer eye judgement over camera. Milt and Brian do a phenomenal job of judging and making it fair to everyone involved and try their level best to make sure the judgements are accurate to the best of their ability.

Mathematically a camera system with one single camera has some inherent draw backs, and when it all comes down to the end it is NOT the computer that makes the call it is the judge in the tent trying to see where the dogs but hit the water, through the splash. Even though the camera is placed above the pool approximately 17 feet in the air, if your dogs jumps 2 feet or 30 feet the angle of the camera will give distortion about where the dogs butt hit the water. If you really want to use a camera system, it would need to be multiple cameras or perhaps even a moving camera system that would follow the dog as it jumped, (talk about distracting, you would have dogs trying to jump and catch the camera).

When push comes to shove, this sport is all about the dogs having a great time, doing something that is really pleasurable about them. They really don't know if they jumped 21'2" or 21'7" inches and they really don't care, they just want to jump in the water, chase their toy, and please their owners. It's us the owners that want to know how far our dogs jump to the millimeter and that's for our satisfaction and not the dogs. So let's keep UAD the way it is and enjoy the sport for what it is, Dogs having fun, doing something they really enjoy doing, and making their owners happy at the same time.
SKY Sr.
SKY Sr.

My Name : Brian L. Butler
My Pet(s) : UUJCH USUV Santa Fe's Blonde Diesel aka "SKY" 3, Sauk River's Pointing Star - aka Star, and Dottie
Number of posts : 272
Scorpio Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Team Maddy Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:20 pm

I'll take Milt and Brian's eye. It is much more personable that they are pool side getting splashed and cracking jokes at the people on the dock.
Plus with an eye right ontop of the jump I don't second guess (not anymore, Brian).
Team Maddy
Team Maddy

My Pet(s) : Maddy
Number of posts : 301
Cancer Buffalo

Back to top Go down

Post by TR75 Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:15 pm

Judging by eye or by camera, which is best? - Page 2 Eye
TR75
TR75

My Name : Matt
My Pet(s) : Jake & Gunther
Sponsors : Nylabone
Number of posts : 1345
Gemini Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by AmphibiousAssaultDogTeam Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:23 pm

I have the best idea? we get a gps system and attach it to the dogs behind. and when the dog lands it measures the distance from the dock. they do it for golf but i guess that is with a stationary target. I may not no the whole science of it but i bet it could be done.(Patent pending just joking) Or we can just let Milt and the gang judge it and keep having fun like we all do. I think the only time the camera would be decent to do is for finals, or in lapeer when you could move the camera for the division ( if you could do that) otherwise i have never had any problems with the judging in my short time with air dogs. Good topic
AmphibiousAssaultDogTeam
AmphibiousAssaultDogTeam

My Name : Norman Candi and Dakota Brown
My Pet(s) : Kota's Delight Kady Bark Kent Chaos
Number of posts : 206
Libra Horse

Back to top Go down

Post by LoriL Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:53 pm

I could just imagine how far my dog could jump if she had a GPS "chasing" her down the dock! Snickering

LoriL

My Name : Lori
Number of posts : 387
Aries Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Laszlo's Botond Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:11 pm

I was wondering if a camera mounted above the pool would give a more accurate reading. I am guessing you would need a tape more on the rail of the pool. I would assume that if you used a camera (video) mounted above the pool in the same spot for each event with the same lens you could easily mark the gradients to show a true jump by compensating for the angle of the lense and distance from center that the dog landed.....Just a thought. Not that I am against manual judging but I was think of how to improve on a single side mounted camera. Any thoughts on that?
Laszlo's Botond
Laszlo's Botond

My Name : Thom Hadfield
My Pet(s) : Bo
Number of posts : 851
Aquarius Rat

http://teamreddog.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Team Maddy Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:26 pm

TR75 wrote:Judging by eye or by camera, which is best? - Page 2 Eye

The "eyes" have it.
Team Maddy
Team Maddy

My Pet(s) : Maddy
Number of posts : 301
Cancer Buffalo

Back to top Go down

Post by daftershock Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:56 pm

Ok... I am going to jump in. Most of you dont know me but my name is Melissa. I do own a well known dog named Stryker. I will start off saying I was at the event in question(with Henry it was taken in Del mar 08). The video was taken by one of HENRY"S many handlers. That is beside the point.

I feel that I have a real good judgement with my own eyes. I will let you know that this jump was well over 27' by my eye. Yes the video was shot from an angle.

Bottom line Lynn you are so right 2 ft or 28'11" they dont care.. As for Henry. He does it because someone forgot to tighten all of his screws when he was a pup. FYI Henry is now 7 1/2 years old any still running strong. If you have a chance to meet Henry or one of his many handlers please take the time to say hi... Henry might even give you a roo roo Hello.

Oh yeah the reason I like vertical is that we all know what the distance is...lol

I know this was about judging sorry for going off subject.

Melissa
daftershock
daftershock

Number of posts : 36
Capricorn Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2