ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Welcome to the ULTIMATE AIR DOGS Message Board!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Welcome to the ULTIMATE AIR DOGS Message Board!
ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question about how Rescue Groups work...

+3
Team Irish
rocketdog
LostPepperDee
7 posters

Go down

Question about how Rescue Groups work... Empty Question about how Rescue Groups work...

Post by LostPepperDee Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:12 pm

A co-worker of mine is leaving her husband. They have a Catahoula Leopard dog (I am not familiar with the breed), and of course, where I have many dogs, she asks me for advice on what to do, since she cannot keep him any longer.

I tell her that I cannot take him, but will send an e-mail to some friends who rescue animals and see if they have any advice. One woman I communicate with has a friend, who she said rescues Catahoula dogs, so she put my co-worker in touch with her friend. What amazed me was that within 2 days, the woman had picked up my co-workers dog. Said she was going to board him for the weekend and have him neutered on Monday...then they were sending him to Canada until they could find him a home.

It seems all on the up & up...they got with my co-worker's vet for his medical records, they've had her sign papers releasing him to them, etc... But it just kind of surprised me that they took him so readily and are sending him so far away. Granted, the area I live in is completely over-run with unwanted pets, and I've always heard that it is easier to find good homes up north, where there isn't quite as much of a pet over-population problem...but I was just wondering if this was normal? This woman is connected with "Catahoula Rescue INC - North East" out of New York.

I really hope everything is on the up & up, since I am the one who got my co-worker in touch with this woman... I won't be able to check back until Tuesday, but any opinions would be appreciated...
LostPepperDee
LostPepperDee

My Name : Kristen
My Pet(s) : Jane, Rover, Pepper, Charlie (dogs) and Figaro & Angel (cats)
Location : I live in NE Tennessee, but grew up in Naples, Italy.
Number of posts : 85
Aquarius Goat

Back to top Go down

Question about how Rescue Groups work... Empty Re: Question about how Rescue Groups work...

Post by rocketdog Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:57 pm

Bredd specific groups sometimes have a central location where they put the dogs until they find a suitable home. They may already have an idea where to put the dog also. Catahoula's are not a very common breed and can be tough to find. I know a guy in Ohio who has 2 and he had to go to the West Coast to get his second. Funny, since they are the Louisiana State Dog... We just recently took in a foster from Ohio and they are screening prospective adopters as far away as Maryland. Some groups are only local and some are nationwide. Depends on how much work they are willing to go thru to find the right person for the dog. I wouldn't worry too much about the dog with the Catahoula group. Sounds like they have a plan figured out. Could be the only open foster home in their network was in Canada at the moment too.
rocketdog
rocketdog

My Name : Jason
My Pet(s) : Rocky, Newman, and Leo
Number of posts : 897
Sagittarius Snake

http://www.teamrocketdog.net

Back to top Go down

Question about how Rescue Groups work... Empty Re: Question about how Rescue Groups work...

Post by LostPepperDee Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:08 am

Okay, thanks...that makes me feel a little better. I really felt sorry for this poor dog. She got him free from someone who had a litter in the K-Mart parking lot. He was indoors until her baby was born...then he was moved to a chain outside. Then when she decides she is tired of her husband, all of a sudden neither wants the dog anymore. It really irks me when people decide to make a life change and then the poor animal becomes incovenient and they want him gone. I hope this rescue can find him a real home.
LostPepperDee
LostPepperDee

Aquarius Goat

Back to top Go down

Post by Team Irish Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:52 pm

That is very sad when situations happen like that. I couldn't imagine just giving up my dog. Thankfully she didn't take it to a shelter though.

Those are SUCH cool dogs!! We had a really cool Catahoula mix jumping in Indy and Fort Wayne last year. I forget his name. It sounds like he will find a great home.
Team Irish
Team Irish

My Name : Jillian
My Pet(s) : Bailey (YL), Reese (CL mix)
Number of posts : 457
Pisces Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:17 am

I am with Catahoula United Rescue Society and know the people with Catahoula Rescue, Inc very well. If Tina says she has a place for the dog to go than rest assured she does. CRI does have a lot of foster homes in Canada and we have also adopted several houlas in canada. Glad this dog was able to be moved so soon. Owner surrenders are often the least priority as there are so many in shelters.

Lori

Number of posts : 17
Aries Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by TR75 Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:30 am

Team Irish wrote:That is very sad when situations happen like that. I couldn't imagine just giving up my dog. Thankfully she didn't take it to a shelter though.

Those are SUCH cool dogs!! We had a really cool Catahoula mix jumping in Indy and Fort Wayne last year. I forget his name. It sounds like he will find a great home.

I remember him too so I did some research and his name is Sportster. Ultimate Air Elation
TR75
TR75

My Name : Matt
My Pet(s) : Jake & Gunther
Sponsors : Nylabone
Number of posts : 1345
Gemini Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by LostPepperDee Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:00 am

Sweet! Cool! Thank you...that makes me feel a lot better! Everything just moved so fast, it just made me a little worried. There are so many scammers and people with bad intentions out there, you have to be very careful... Queasy
LostPepperDee
LostPepperDee

Aquarius Goat

Back to top Go down

Post by Team Irish Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:29 pm

TeamRescue75 wrote:

I remember him too so I did some research and his name is Sportster. Ultimate Air Elation

Oh yea!! Sportster!!!

Question about how Rescue Groups work... Sportster
Team Irish
Team Irish

My Name : Jillian
My Pet(s) : Bailey (YL), Reese (CL mix)
Number of posts : 457
Pisces Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:06 pm

LostPepperDee wrote:Sweet! Cool! Thank you...that makes me feel a lot better! Everything just moved so fast, it just made me a little worried. There are so many scammers and people with bad intentions out there, you have to be very careful... Queasy

I checked with Tina and she said all is well and he is going to a great foster home. Tina takes good care of her foster dogs and screens very carefully so he will have a great new life.

Lori

Aries Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by LostPepperDee Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:21 am

Wow...this really is a small world, you know? Here I am, in NE Tennessee, with a co-worker who needs to find a dog a home, so I e-mail a few of my local friends, who put her in touch with a rescue, who knows someone from this group, most of who are in Michigan...

Pretty Cool... Sunny Day!
LostPepperDee
LostPepperDee

Aquarius Goat

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:23 pm

LostPepperDee wrote:Wow...this really is a small world, you know? Here I am, in NE Tennessee, with a co-worker who needs to find a dog a home, so I e-mail a few of my local friends, who put her in touch with a rescue, who knows someone from this group, most of who are in Michigan...

Pretty Cool... Sunny Day!
I am in Ga so not that far from you. And most rescues groups try to work together and especially since Tina and i both do houla rescue we have worked together quite a bit. I use to belong to her resuce group before a group of us decided to start CURS.

Lori

Aries Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by ROCK Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:45 am

Kristen,

That turned out to be a happy ending. Glad it turned out to be a reputable, known organization. I can imagine your fear of the Rescue not being on the up and up.

Barb and Rock wave2
ROCK
ROCK

My Pet(s) : Rock, Toby, Ten
Number of posts : 517
Virgo Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by crazyjackpack Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:51 am

At Jask Russell Rescue Ontario we get dogs from all over. Our one animal shelter here takes dogs from the deep south all that time. They are highly adoptable for some reason here in Ontario. I just wish people would think twice before getting an animal. My sister has an 8 year old foster in right now. He was found by a vet in a ditch covered in quills. He was near death. That was in October. Oliver is just now ready for adoption.
crazyjackpack
crazyjackpack

My Name : Aimee and Sarah
My Pet(s) : Forrest Gumpy (gone but not forgotten) ,, Jitter Bug,, Cpt. Jack,, Shella , Staccato (I'm not a JRT), Clay (my first jump will be in July.. we hope)
Location : Rest is peace sweat Gumpy, UAG Master Champ, Jr. Handler Champ and Featherweight champ.
Number of posts : 550
Aquarius Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down