ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Welcome to the ULTIMATE AIR DOGS Message Board!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Welcome to the ULTIMATE AIR DOGS Message Board!
ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Possible Dock Jumping Club in West Michigan area

+6
Ann DHondt
rocketdog
TR75
Laszlo's Botond
Phoenix
team sky
10 posters

Go down

Possible Dock Jumping Club in West Michigan area Empty Possible Dock Jumping Club in West Michigan area

Post by team sky Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:45 pm

I was interested in the cost of a Dock like we used in Grand Rapids, and here's what I found out. A dock that we all could use would cost the west michigan UADer's 3500 dollars for a 40 foot dock on wheels that we could just roll into a lake somewhere with a truck or a 4 wheeler. Just so we could all get some practice throwing and keep our dogs in jumping shape while there are no jumps in the state. Any ideas? I think it would be awesome to start a club where we could put together a practice dock like Shari did on the East side of the state.

The cost would be very reasonable if we all pitched in a little. All we would need would be a location. Milt was telling me that a group in someplace like Virginia joined up with a veterinary clinic, and the jumpers bought the dock and the clinic put in a small lake that all the jumpers are able to use free of charge.

I think the west michigan people should put something together like this. Not that it would help us when its 10 degrees outside.
team sky
team sky

My Name : Brian Butler
My Pet(s) : Sky
Number of posts : 709
Pisces Dragon

Back to top Go down

Possible Dock Jumping Club in West Michigan area Empty Re: Possible Dock Jumping Club in West Michigan area

Post by Phoenix Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:32 pm

The hard thing is finding a lake that would allow it....I can't think of any honestly. We have a pond but it would get too shallow in the middle of the summer. I would be game if we could get it to work...
Phoenix
Phoenix

My Name : Beth
My Pet(s) : Phoenix,Rajah,Cody, Tucson, Rumor
Number of posts : 1001
Sagittarius Dog

http://flyinghighk9s.weebly.com/index.html

Back to top Go down

Possible Dock Jumping Club in West Michigan area Empty Re: Possible Dock Jumping Club in West Michigan area

Post by Laszlo's Botond Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:05 pm

Just out of curiosity does any one have the info for the one on the east side of the state?
Laszlo's Botond
Laszlo's Botond

My Name : Thom Hadfield
My Pet(s) : Bo
Number of posts : 851
Aquarius Rat

http://teamreddog.net

Back to top Go down

Post by TR75 Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:11 pm

Laszlo's Botond wrote:Just out of curiosity does any one have the info for the one on the east side of the state?

It's not a club and I don't believe that it is a practice dock. She just happens to have a pond and dock in her back yard.
TR75
TR75

My Name : Matt
My Pet(s) : Jake & Gunther
Sponsors : Nylabone
Number of posts : 1345
Gemini Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by rocketdog Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:22 pm

Yeah, she just built a dock in her pond. We did have an event there last year. You will have trouble finding a lake that will let you put your dock in it. Anywhere that has public access will have rules against not only putting in your dock (homeowners on lakes need to get permits sometimes to have a dock at their house) plus they will have restrictions about dogs. We looked at a lot of lakes around our house (I live in a sub with a private park on a lake) and couldn't find one that would let us use their dock. We finally asked my boss who lives on a lake to use his dock to practice on. He lives on a private lake with very little boat traffic so we are the big attraction when we have Rocky out there. The last time we practiced we had a couple boats out in the lake cheering for Rocky when he jumped. Might look for someone who has a pond that wouldn't mind if you used their pond with a limited number of other UAD'ers for some practice.
rocketdog
rocketdog

My Name : Jason
My Pet(s) : Rocky, Newman, and Leo
Number of posts : 897
Sagittarius Snake

http://www.teamrocketdog.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Ann DHondt Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:45 pm

Just out of curiosity does any one have the info for the one on the east side of the state?

There is a training place in Romulus. It is a 40' dock into a man made pond. The dock is a bit high off the water (a bit more than two feet) but you can jump for about $10 an hour. We go fairly regularly during the summer months. We also have some other docks available to us (private) as well as a floating dock in Ann Arbor. I don't know where you are located, but I can pass on more information to you if you want.

Ann
Ann DHondt
Ann DHondt

My Name : Ann
My Pet(s) : Belle, Teddi, Quinn, Gabby and always in my heart Maxine
Number of posts : 301
Cancer Rat

Back to top Go down

Post by team sky Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:53 pm

With the number of inquiry's we had at in Grand Rapids this week I think someone has to either know someone or own property on a lake we could use. I know that there is a lake in Kent county here that has two public boat launches that are supposed to be closed down. Because if you heard anything about this lake it is called Cranberry lake and it is a real dangerous launch for cars in the winter because the road dead ends right into the lake. And several people died in that lake last summer. What is nice is this lake has very little motorboat traffic but has a lot of canoe and row boat traffic.

I think I can remember like 10 people looking to see if there dog would even jump in a lake off a dock that talked to me this weekend thats why I think a club would be cool. Not only for us UAD'ers to practice but to help future UAD'ers get involved, and know if there dog is going to jump before they pay the 15 dollars for a splash and they don't even have an interest in jumping.
team sky
team sky

My Name : Brian Butler
My Pet(s) : Sky
Number of posts : 709
Pisces Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Laszlo's Botond Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:35 pm

Thanks i line in the Flint area. I do have use of a private pond. It has a railroad tie dock on it. However it is no where near 40' more like 15' Also if there is anyone in the area that would like to meet to practice there I am sure I can get use of it. My firend wont charge us but I do try to do something nice like give him a gift card somewhere from time to time for helping me with bo (hunt training) he is a hunt trainer and letting me use his land whenever i want. I just was looking for a place that might have a regulation dock.
Laszlo's Botond
Laszlo's Botond

My Name : Thom Hadfield
My Pet(s) : Bo
Number of posts : 851
Aquarius Rat

http://teamreddog.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Indy Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:13 pm

I don't know where you could park a portable dock, but if we can find a decent place to practice, I'd love to join West Michigan club. We weren't able to make it to the GR event over the weekend, but Indy's already been in the river a few times since the ice broke up Sweet!

Gosh, don't all these people who live on lakes know that they could make a fortune leasing their dock Sweet!

Maybe, if we can talk someone into allowing the use of their private dock we could all chip in a few dollars per practice to compensate the owner. I don't know anyone with a dock, just saying that for some people, that might negate the inconvenience of having a bunch of strangers and dogs on their property.
Indy
Indy

My Name : Indy
My Pet(s) : Indy
Number of posts : 312
Virgo Goat

Back to top Go down

Post by rocketdog Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:04 pm

A closed down boat launch would be great. Usually the docks are at least 4 ft wide and should be at least 25-30ft long. The area I live in has A TON of lakes and there aren't any that have secluded launches. We did teach Rocky to jump off the back of our boat and climb back in from the swim platform with very little help.
rocketdog
rocketdog

My Name : Jason
My Pet(s) : Rocky, Newman, and Leo
Number of posts : 897
Sagittarius Snake

http://www.teamrocketdog.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Indy Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:45 pm

rocketdog wrote:A closed down boat launch would be great. Usually the docks are at least 4 ft wide and should be at least 25-30ft long. The area I live in has A TON of lakes and there aren't any that have secluded launches.

Well, in the Allegan State Game Area there are a number of very secluded lakes, including Ely Lake, which has a boat launch. I haven't been out there during what is probably high camping season, but when I have gone out, I'm the only person. The lady in the office is very helpful, she was the one that told me I could take my dog to the boat launch at Ely Lake because it's rarely used since they opened a campground and swimming area elsewhere. I'm not sure how much leeway they have but she might be willing to help work something out. It is a little out of the way for people who aren't in Allegan County, you'd have to take 131 and get off at either Martin or Plainwell, from there it's about ten minutes to Allegan and probably another 15 to the lake that I'm thinking of.

http://www.michigandnr.com/publications/pdfs/huntingwildlifehabitat/sga/asga_foot.pdf
Indy
Indy

My Name : Indy
My Pet(s) : Indy
Number of posts : 312
Virgo Goat

Back to top Go down

Post by Chessies on the Dock Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:21 am

I agree it is hard to find a place to practice. I have considered starting a practice club on the east side, however, many of you know what my work schedule is like and there are also liability issues to consider. So at this time, Matt is correct, I just have a pond and a dock.

On the event note: many of you have asked and I am working on scheduling an event date. I'm home for awhile so I can compare the summer schedule to mine and see what we have left fireworks With any luck we will have vertical this year too!!!!! I think the event also needs a better name than the Pine River Pond Event. Any Suggestions??

Last edited by ShariS on Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:22 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : missed a word)
Chessies on the Dock
Chessies on the Dock

My Pet(s) : Meadow, Sage and the cats (Cadi and Bodie)
Number of posts : 760

http://ChessiesontheDock.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TR75 Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:13 am

I'll start a thread to get your event a new name. A Round of Applause!
TR75
TR75

My Name : Matt
My Pet(s) : Jake & Gunther
Sponsors : Nylabone
Number of posts : 1345
Gemini Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by AbesDad Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:25 am

Shari's Super Summer Splash (S4).
AbesDad
AbesDad

Number of posts : 92
Leo Pig

http://www.TeamBlabador.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JT Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:10 am

i have intentions of putting a dock in at my grandfathers pond this spring its about 90 min north east of muskegon. hes already told me that i can have people come over to jump on the weekends so that would be a place if any one was intrested in some weekend fun.
JT
JT

My Name : jamie
My Pet(s) : mikey pb 18'6 uv5'6 , mavrick pb 16 something over 19 when he decides to jump. and Roxi 4 y old GSP she just cheers the boys on. and timber comming in 2010 to a dock near you
Number of posts : 406
Capricorn Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down