ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Welcome to the ULTIMATE AIR DOGS Message Board!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Welcome to the ULTIMATE AIR DOGS Message Board!
ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Docks in West Michigan

+4
Rajah
Intellabs
team sky
Indy
8 posters

Go down

Docks in West Michigan Empty Docks in West Michigan

Post by Indy Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:43 pm

Over the past year I think I've been to every public dock owned by Allegan County and have yet to find one without some sort of obstruction at the end to prevent jumping. But I'm still searching ...

I know this a common problem, especially in SW Michigan where we don't have much in the way of practice facilities. So, partly for selfish reasons What a Face and partly to help the newbies, I thought I'd start a thread where people can post docks that they've found in West Michigan that would be suitable for practice.

So, if you have a dock in West Michigan to suggest, please reply to this thread with all the pertinent info.

I hope that this will turn into a useful resource for all the West Michiganders out there Ultimate Air Elation
Indy
Indy

My Name : Indy
My Pet(s) : Indy
Number of posts : 312
Virgo Goat

Back to top Go down

Docks in West Michigan Empty Re: Docks in West Michigan

Post by team sky Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:15 pm

Johnson Park DNR boat ramp, No leash in parking area, BUT the river is swift so it might be iffy if your dog is not a water dog.

Located between Johnson Park and Millennium Park.
team sky
team sky

My Name : Brian Butler
My Pet(s) : Sky
Number of posts : 709
Pisces Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Intellabs Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:55 pm

I have a suggestion. Why don't all of of us UAD'ers in michigan contribute till we have enough to buy a dock and pool!! Then all we have to decide is where to put it.

I would be willing to make the sacrafice and put it in my backyard!!
Intellabs
Intellabs

My Name : Roger
My Pet(s) : Katie, Koko, Oberon, Kota, Sugar, Knitrous and Hershey
Number of posts : 709
Cancer Goat

Back to top Go down

Post by Rajah Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:15 pm

I know of a dock that we go to all the time. It is located... oh, i forget... I think about 50 feet from our back deck. Oh yeah, I remember, it is the dock in our pond in our backyard. Anyone is welcome to use it if you like, but we haven't been treating it with chemicals at this point so I can't garauntee it would be totally safe for your dogs even though our dogs don't get sick in it.
Rajah
Rajah

My Name : Rajah's dad
My Pet(s) : Rajah (APBT), Cody, Phoenix, Tucson, & Rumor (GSPs)
Number of posts : 512
Aries Snake

http://www.flyinghighk9s.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kimberlee Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:08 am

I have found that most of your lakes that have a public accesses w/ a boat launch have docks. I personally like to go to the one close to us. It is (I think the dock) is about the same size as what we us with Milt.
So for all of you on the west side, I would try to look at your lakes around your area. Just a thought.
The one I go to here in Genesse County is the one at Hollow Way resevor, there is a campground and public boat launch there also.
I try and go during the weekdays so we do not have to fight the boats coming and going but we seem to do ok.
I have not come across any thing that says you can not have dogs or have them on a leash, but safe side I keep Merlyn on his till we get to the water.
Happy hunting for the docks, that is the only one I found in my area.
If I am right the town or city is called columbiville,
this might help for ones who live in the mid Mi area.
The campground is called Wolverine.
I hope this helps.
kimberlee
kimberlee

My Name : Kimberlee
My Pet(s) : Merlyn and Ellie Mae
Number of posts : 121
Leo Horse

Back to top Go down

Post by Labwake Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:33 pm

There's a great dock in Coldwater- I use it frequently. And right across the road is a dog park Ultimate Air Elation
Also, if anyone knows where Gull Lake is- not the town but the actual lake, (out by Hickory Corners, Delton, Richland, the town of Gull Lake....on Gull Rd) there's an access with TWO docks side by side. I took Connor there the day before I left (it was his farewell present Oh so Sad ) and it was a good spot....though I know it gets BUSY in the summer. If anyone needs directions, let me know!
Labwake
Labwake

My Name : Annie
My Pet(s) : Connor, Elsie
Number of posts : 491
Leo Horse

http://sarcasmandsleddogs.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Indy Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:37 pm

team sky wrote:Johnson Park DNR boat ramp

Indy and I went and checked out this dock tonight. It was a very good recommendation. It's a bit of a drive for us, but if I don't find anything closer, it's well worth the trip. You are correct that this spot is only for strong swimmers, the dog does have to swim against the current a bit on the way back to shore.
Indy
Indy

Virgo Goat

Back to top Go down

Post by doodlelover Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:55 pm

Thank you so much for posting this thread. I live in the Grand Rapids/ Grandville area and would love to find a place to practice. You would think there would be a facility or something! Keep the ideas coming!
doodlelover
doodlelover

My Name : Emily
My Pet(s) : Conan and Darby "the doodles"
Number of posts : 1
Leo Pig

Back to top Go down

Post by Sara Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:05 pm

Annie, where's the Gull Lake dock?
Sara
Sara

My Name : Sara
My Pet(s) : Oskar, Carly, Fiona
Number of posts : 791
Scorpio Goat

http://www.freewebs.com/oskarboogerman

Back to top Go down

Post by Indy Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:56 pm

Sara wrote:Annie, where's the Gull Lake dock?

This is what I found after a quick search, I assume it's the same spot Annie mentioned.

"Public access is located on Baseline Rd off of E. Gull Lake Dr".

From looking at the map, that's the NE end of the lake. Take M89 until it runs into M43, go North, follow M43 around the North end of the lake ... hmmm let's see if this Google Maps link works ...

If the weather is OK tonight, we might go check it out.
Indy
Indy

Virgo Goat

Back to top Go down

Post by Labwake Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:04 pm

Sarah, if you're on Gull Rd near Richland, you can't miss it. The road gets really curvy (called "the Richland curves") and there are boat launch signs.
When I come from Kzoo, I take Sprinkle to Gull Rd. Right on Gull Rd. Follow that through Richland. Take a left at the light in Richland. (now heading towards MacDonalds). Go through a few stoplights (1 I think). The rd will make a sharp turn to the right. You'll find yourself going through the curves. It's right along there. From Kzoo area, the lake will be on your right.
If it straightens out again, you've gone too far- or if you pass the Gilmore Car Museam, or if you enter Delton. If you're coming from the other way- like FROM Delton, Prairieville, etc then you've gone too far if you hit "downtown" Richland.
Not the best directions, but I've driven it enough times in my life Ultimate Air Elation You're pretty much just looking for tons of curves in the rd between Richland and Delton. Let me know if that helps at all.
Labwake
Labwake

My Name : Annie
My Pet(s) : Connor, Elsie
Number of posts : 491
Leo Horse

http://sarcasmandsleddogs.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Indy Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:46 pm

Googled again and found this ...

"...there are two public access points on Gull Lake. The Prairieville
Township Park on the north shore provides a four-lane boat launch ramp
that accommodates 70 boat trailers. Another, much smaller access is on
the northeast shore at the end of Baseline Road".

I bet Annie is talking about Prairieville Twp Park http://www.prairievilletwp-mi.org/parks.php.
Indy
Indy

Virgo Goat

Back to top Go down

Post by Indy Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:09 pm

Went to Prairieville Township Park tonight. Two nice floating wooden docks side by side. Unfortunately it was crazy busy. We were there over an hour and didn't get in one jump due to non-stop boat traffic. Did plenty of water retrieves in the swimming area though.

I would not recommend going at 8pm on a day with nice weather. All the day fishermen are coming in off the lake and all the night fishermen are going out. Traffic was actually backed up most of the time.

Also, take $5 with you just in case. The gates were open tonight, but according to the sign they normally charge $5 per vehicle.
Indy
Indy

Virgo Goat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down