ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Welcome to the ULTIMATE AIR DOGS Message Board!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Welcome to the ULTIMATE AIR DOGS Message Board!
ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cold Tail Prophylaxsis???

+9
LostPepperDee
Kel
Sara
Ann DHondt
jtallen
CoffeeDogs
crazyjackpack
labpaw
gatorblueyes
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Cold Tail Prophylaxsis??? Empty Cold Tail Prophylaxsis???

Post by gatorblueyes Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:43 pm

Last year my poor Jubilee got cold tail after the first day of competing. I was going to pull her the second day but she showed all of us as she ran up the stairs down the dock and jumped in anyway lol. My thoughts are, what if I prophylaxed her with anti-inflammatories prior to the event? Has anyone tried this before on a dog that is prone to getting CT?
gatorblueyes
gatorblueyes

My Name : Andrea
My Pet(s) : Jubilee
Number of posts : 256
Capricorn Dragon

http://www.myspace.com/gatorblueyes

Back to top Go down

Cold Tail Prophylaxsis??? Empty Re: Cold Tail Prophylaxsis???

Post by labpaw Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:50 pm

I don't think anything that that has proven to be helpful, I'm afraid. Judges Maybe others have some thoughts, but medically, because it is poorly understood, nothing has really be identified to prevent it. Majorly Confused
labpaw
labpaw

My Name : Alisa
My Pet(s) : Pooh, Colby, Gracie Lou, Abe, Stew, Web, Miss P, & Goo
Number of posts : 1061
Taurus Pig

http://www.teamblabador.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gatorblueyes Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:57 pm

Ok thank you. I have read a lot about people calling it a "compartment syndrome" like situation so that is why I was wondering if AIs would work. I have some previcox so I was considering using it pre-event rather than wait until she is in pain because she has gotten it quite a few times so I wouldn't be suprised.
gatorblueyes
gatorblueyes

Capricorn Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by labpaw Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:04 pm

Well, try it and see! I would be interested to see what you think it did, if anything. It certainly won't hurt her! Just kidding!
labpaw
labpaw

Taurus Pig

Back to top Go down

Post by gatorblueyes Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:19 pm

Yea that is what I was thinking. I will let you know!
gatorblueyes
gatorblueyes

Capricorn Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by crazyjackpack Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:16 pm

OK and I hope Milt sees this.. I am so glad I mainly have no tail dogs and the only one with a tail hates the water. Ultimate Air Elation Nubby Butts Rule....
crazyjackpack
crazyjackpack

My Name : Aimee and Sarah
My Pet(s) : Forrest Gumpy (gone but not forgotten) ,, Jitter Bug,, Cpt. Jack,, Shella , Staccato (I'm not a JRT), Clay (my first jump will be in July.. we hope)
Location : Rest is peace sweat Gumpy, UAG Master Champ, Jr. Handler Champ and Featherweight champ.
Number of posts : 550
Aquarius Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by gatorblueyes Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:41 pm

crazyjackpack wrote:OK and I hope Milt sees this.. I am so glad I mainly have no tail dogs and the only one with a tail hates the water. Ultimate Air Elation Nubby Butts Rule....

hahahaha...I know he sees a lot of dogs and this was last year but he made an example of her during the splashes to educate everyone on CT.
gatorblueyes
gatorblueyes

Capricorn Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by CoffeeDogs Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:36 am

Alisa,

Mocha's vet has recommended giving NSAID as prophylaxis. Mocha has had cold tail twice and Kona had it once. He recommends starting the NSAID 2 days prior to event and continuing it through the event. I started doing this last year, and neither has gotten it since. Has it been the NSAID, or just luck? Who knows!

It is tough to treat/prevent, because of how much is known about it. Just in case it were to happen again, I always have "hot hands" with me for comfort.

CoffeeDogs

My Name : Laura
My Pet(s) : Mocha & Kona
Number of posts : 126
Taurus Snake

http://www.teamcoffeedogs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gatorblueyes Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:42 am

Cool that is what I was thinking...I have some previcox so I will try that. Thanks!
gatorblueyes
gatorblueyes

Capricorn Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by gatorblueyes Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:43 am

what are hot hands?
gatorblueyes
gatorblueyes

Capricorn Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by CoffeeDogs Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:48 am

You are from Florida, right? Of course you wouldn't know what hot hands are!

They are a little heat pack that you can put in gloves when your hands get cold. They are activated by crushing the packet. Hunters use them often. For cold tail, they are like a mini heating pad to help relax the muscles.

Instead of getting scripts for NSAIDS, I used buffered aspirin &/or baby aspirin. I always carry them with me.

CoffeeDogs

My Name : Laura
My Pet(s) : Mocha & Kona
Number of posts : 126
Taurus Snake

http://www.teamcoffeedogs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jtallen Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:31 am

I saw a thread on DD a while ago, and a lot people were swearing by fish oil, Salmon, to prevent CT

Jim
jtallen
jtallen

My Pet(s) : Rogan, Molly, Maggie, Moose, Cracker
Number of posts : 1343
Leo Cat

http://www.teamsecondchance.net

Back to top Go down

Post by gatorblueyes Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:05 am

CoffeeDogs wrote:You are from Florida, right? Of course you wouldn't know what hot hands are!

They are a little heat pack that you can put in gloves when your hands get cold. They are activated by crushing the packet. Hunters use them often. For cold tail, they are like a mini heating pad to help relax the muscles.

Instead of getting scripts for NSAIDS, I used buffered aspirin &/or baby aspirin. I always carry them with me.

Hhahaha I DO know what they are! I use them when I go skiing rofl. Ok cool. I have a RX for NSAIDS because I competitively run Jubilee in Flyball and they are part of her emergency kit.
gatorblueyes
gatorblueyes

Capricorn Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by gatorblueyes Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:06 am

jtallen wrote:I saw a thread on DD a while ago, and a lot people were swearing by fish oil, Salmon, to prevent CT

Jim

Someone on the lab board I posted on just brought this to my attention as well. She is already on a pill daily. I wonder if that is enough?
gatorblueyes
gatorblueyes

Capricorn Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Ann DHondt Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:27 am

I read recently that fish oil is considered a natural anti inflamatory that is probably why it works. I did a little reading on it because there is a lot of talk about using it on my HD board, and I wanted to know if I should supplement with it. Since my dogs are not 'hurting' at the time I will stick to the usual joint supplements. I just thought it was interesting to know what it is supposed to help with.
Ann DHondt
Ann DHondt

My Name : Ann
My Pet(s) : Belle, Teddi, Quinn, Gabby and always in my heart Maxine
Number of posts : 301
Cancer Rat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sara Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:55 am

Aimee you are right, our short tails never get cold tail!!
Sara
Sara

My Name : Sara
My Pet(s) : Oskar, Carly, Fiona
Number of posts : 791
Scorpio Goat

http://www.freewebs.com/oskarboogerman

Back to top Go down

Post by labpaw Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:46 am

Well, I hope ot works Ultimate Air Elation .... I have heard others who have tried using NSAIDs and still got it, but I think, like most things, it is an individual thing. But it is certainly worth a try!! Hot Dawg I might even give it a try, as my little Ham & Eggs got it at the last event. Oh so Sad

As far as the fish oil, I think that is a great thing to give anyway. It has so many benefits (skin, coat, allergies, natural anti-inflammatory, etc). Unless a dog is allergic or has a adverse reaction (such as diarrhea, for example) to it, I can't see any harm in using it. Flower Power
labpaw
labpaw

Taurus Pig

Back to top Go down

Post by Kel Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:03 pm

labpaw wrote:As far as the fish oil, I think that is a great thing to give anyway. It has so many benefits (skin, coat, allergies, natural anti-inflammatory, etc). Unless a dog is allergic or has a adverse reaction (such as diarrhea, for example) to it, I can't see any harm in using it.

I agree. It's a great natural supplement to give. Salmon oil is best. All our pups get 2 per day and it has done a lot of good... especially with Jack's allergies. We give it for their joints also, and the ones actually with joint issues also get additional supplements for that.
Kel
Kel

My Name : "The Girl with the GSDs"
My Pet(s) : Aro, Scot, Jack Tar, Baako & Kon
Number of posts : 1673
Gemini

http://www.frozenfirek9s.com/Joomla/

Back to top Go down

Post by LostPepperDee Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:27 am

Embarassed Not meaning to sound ignorant, but just out of curiosity...

What is "Cold Tail Prophylaxsis"??? Majorly Confused

From reading the posts, I am gathering that it has something to do with the tails getting cold? But I wasn't sure how the anti-inflamatorys, fish oils, etc... would help a tail that is cold. And how can you tell they have it?

Sorry for the questions, but the topic made me curious... Here's a question fo
LostPepperDee
LostPepperDee

My Name : Kristen
My Pet(s) : Jane, Rover, Pepper, Charlie (dogs) and Figaro & Angel (cats)
Location : I live in NE Tennessee, but grew up in Naples, Italy.
Number of posts : 85
Aquarius Goat

Back to top Go down

Post by flyingbcs Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:05 pm

frozen tail, limber tail, rudder tail, cold water tail a painful condition of the tailbase recognized in gundogs, mainly Labrador retrievers. Usually seen the day after hunting, and believed to be a tendonitis or myositis associated with vigorous swimming or hyperextension of the tail when leaping into water. The affected dog holds the tail horizontally, away from the rump, and is reluctant to sit. Golly Gee!
flyingbcs
flyingbcs

My Pet(s) : Lansing
Number of posts : 267

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary and Brewster Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:13 pm

I'm so glad this topic came up. Brew had it at the December jump at Universal Mall. I thought he was sick because being part setter and lab his tail is always up and "flaging". When we got up on Sat. morning the first thing I noticed was he was carring his tail funny. Thankfully he didn't seem to be in any pain with it and he was eating well and he could sit. I'm glad to know there are things I can try for him so hopefully it doesn't happen to him again. I'm so glad that Milt and other folks at the jump knew what it was and told me about it. Brew is the first sporting breed we've ever had and I'd never heard of anything like it before. My nephew who owns a gorden setter had never even heard of it.

Kel, when you give the salmon oil you said you give 2 a day. I'm assuming you give the pups capsules? Do you puncture them and put them on the food or do you just put the capsules in their food or give the orally? I'm sure Brews coat will really benifit from the suppliments.

Thanks everyone for all the great tips. I love reading the forum and learning from everyone. Brew can't wait to get jumping again. Have a great day everyone,
Mary and Brewster
Mary and Brewster

My Name : Mary
My Pet(s) : Brewster and Riley
Number of posts : 427
Virgo Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary and Brewster Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:03 pm

Just another quick question. I was going to get Brew salmon oil but I have a huge bottle of fish oil concentrate that are soft gels. It is 1000mg fish oil with 300mg Omega 3 fatty acids. Anyone have any input on that? Would it be OK to give to Brew and at 1000mg how many should I give? Brew is a 90 pound dog. Since it's soft jells should I put a hole in the capsule and squirt it on his food or just put the capsule in his food? I feed kibble but we moisten it with warm water so he's not eating hard kibble. We feed him twice a day. I'm sure part of that also is to see if he will eat the capsule also. Thanks for any input. Have a great day everyone!
Mary and Brewster
Mary and Brewster

Virgo Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:42 pm

Kel's out right now but this is her mom here.
Our males are very close in weight to your Brewster. One of our dogs wil eat the capsules with just some canned food smeared on it, three have to have it wrapped in soft cheese, two won't fall for any of that- we have to put it in the back of their mouths, close the mouth and stroke the throat until they swallow. Then they get a pinch of cheese as a reward. We do that twice a day.
Oh, the pills are also 1000mg. As Kel mentioned, we prefer the salmon oil- it seems to provide more benefits- but we do use the regular fish oil when we do not have the salmon.
Angela
Angela

Number of posts : 273

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary and Brewster Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:56 am

Hi Angela,
Thanks so much for the reply! Brew will be starting the fish oil tomorrow. Once I run out of the fish oil I'll start getting the salmon oil. Thanks for the tips on pilling pups also. I do know all about pilling pups. Our last pup Tucker had epilepsy so he was on phenobarbital and a liquid pottisum bromide. He took the pheno great it was the bromide that was tricky! So far thankfully I haven't had to pill Brew so we'll see how he does. I love the big breeds though. Their mouths are a much easier target that a small dog! Our Tucker was also a 90 pound pup. Thanks again and have a great day,
Mary and Brewster
Mary and Brewster

Virgo Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:06 pm

Yay, another big dog person!
So, Mary, do you creep out your non-dog friends too when you stick your hand in there with the doggy drool and all those serious teeth? Their reactions always crack me up.
Love the pic of Brew. His body language is all about his having a great time. His pic reminds me of the pics of Jack Tar- they look like such happy boys.
Angela
Angela

Number of posts : 273

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next