ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Welcome to the ULTIMATE AIR DOGS Message Board!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Welcome to the ULTIMATE AIR DOGS Message Board!
ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Warning to N VA area teams... "animal rights activist" visit/threat

+7
Phoenix
AmphibiousAssaultDogTeam
jjh904
Rajah
Angela
JT
Kel
11 posters

Go down

Warning to N VA area teams... "animal rights activist" visit/threat Empty Warning to N VA area teams... "animal rights activist" visit/threat

Post by Kel Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:19 pm

The following is being posted as a "heads up" for those in the Northern VA area, just in case anyone runs into the same woman (or has her come knock on your door as well).

Last night, 8-28-09, at approximately 7pm, a blond haired, caucasian woman who appeared to be in her thirties knocked on our door. My husband answered the door and went outside to speak with her, closing the door behind him. This is a pretty typical way for us to answer the door, mainly because the dogs are always pushing their noses against the window trying to get out to say "hi" to and play with any visitors. Non-typical, however, was the fact that my husband came back into the house looking very confused and said that I "needed to talk with the woman outside." He told me that the woman claimed to be an "animal rights activist" and that she is "very concerned with the treatment of our dogs" and was threatening to report us/me for animal abuse. Yes, this woman apparently is convinced that the *clicker trainer* in the neighborhood, who uses purely positive reinforcement and reward marker based training methods, is abusing her dogs. She told my husband that she was especially concerned with how my dogs pull tires/wheeled carts around the neighborhood (as some of the sports we participate in are dog sledding, carting, etc.). My husband responded by saying that my dogs compete in various sports and real life work, so that is part of their training and exercise and everything they pull is quite lightweight and very easy for them (they can run full speed with each and every cart/sled they normally pull). The woman's response was, "well, that may be her thing, but they probably don't like that and are forced to do it, so we have to be their voices for them." At that point, my husband asked the woman to please hold on a moment so he could get me for her to speak with, since they are my dogs. She agreed to wait and he came back inside. After telling me what was going on, we both went back outside to find that the woman had apparently made a very quick departure, along with the vehicle which had been parked just down the street (which we assumed was likely her's) which was, like her, now gone. We looked up and down the street for a few brief moments to see if she may have just walked away, but were unable to find her or anyone else.

Immediately after, I called the local Police department and filed a report. I did this because I have unfortunately seen (and know of) many cases in the past where extremist "animal rights activists" (PETA members being most notorious for such behavior) have vandalized property, stolen pets and other animals, attacked owners, and even poisoned or killed animals by other means because, in their distorted opinion, these animals are better off dead than being "enslaved" by humanity and "forced" to compete in various sports or serve as law enforcement K-9s, SAR K-9s, Therapy Dogs, Assistance Dogs, or any other job. I made the police report because I want something to be on file concerning this, in case we receive a repeat visit or are harassed, threatened, or outright attacked by this same individual or any extremist "animal rights activists," whether associated with PETA, another organization, or acting completely independently. I do not want to come home to find something has happened to my boys (or, on a minor note, any property stolen or vandalized) because of this mislead view that some seem to still hold.

For those who do not know us, my own dogs compete in a very wide variety of sports, as well as serving as Search and Rescue K-9s, Assistance Dogs (one of my previous jobs being as a Service/Hearing Dog trainer), and Therapy Dogs. As those who have met them and me well know, they are very well cared for and absolutely love to compete and work. They are in no way ever forced to train, compete, or work. On the contrary, I could easily challenge someone to try to "hold them back" from it... you'll find it's a task not easily accomplished as they try to drag you forward to "go to work." Again, as already mentioned, I am also a trainer and competitor who uses purely positive based methods (reward marker, non-compulsive/correction)... so to be accused of abusing my boys obviously comes as an absolute shock.

It is my sincere hope that no one else in the area (or outside it) has to come into contact with or be threatened by this woman (or any other). If anyone does have any similar experiences with a woman of like appearance, please contact me as I would like to have the information/occurrence added or linked to the report I already have on file with the local Police.

Thank you.
Kel
Kel

My Name : "The Girl with the GSDs"
My Pet(s) : Aro, Scot, Jack Tar, Baako & Kon
Number of posts : 1673
Gemini

http://www.frozenfirek9s.com/Joomla/

Back to top Go down

Warning to N VA area teams... "animal rights activist" visit/threat Empty Re: Warning to N VA area teams... "animal rights activist" visit/threat

Post by JT Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:09 pm

some people! next they will be protesting on your yard kel.
JT
JT

My Name : jamie
My Pet(s) : mikey pb 18'6 uv5'6 , mavrick pb 16 something over 19 when he decides to jump. and Roxi 4 y old GSP she just cheers the boys on. and timber comming in 2010 to a dock near you
Number of posts : 406
Capricorn Monkey

Back to top Go down

Warning to N VA area teams... "animal rights activist" visit/threat Empty Re: Warning to N VA area teams... "animal rights activist" visit/threat

Post by Angela Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:45 pm

As Kel's mom and the boys' gamma this has me "spittin' bricks" POed. I absolutely cannot find use for these slimeballs that, rather than understand what they see, will go off on innocent people and leave the creeps like Michael Vick be.
I challenge anyone to find another who provides better care and loving attention for their dog(s) than my daughter. And now she has to worry about what some crazies may do to her dogs- all because of the preconceived warped ideas of some woman with, apparently, nothing constructive to do with her time.
We have known from the time Kel was a preteen that we had to watch for the nut cases at shows and demos, but now we have found that they are out patrolling the neighborhoods.
Watch your puppies carefully!
Angela
Angela

Number of posts : 273

Back to top Go down

Post by Rajah Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:03 pm

Angela wrote:We have known from the time Kel was a preteen that we had to watch for the nut cases at shows and demos, but now we have found that they are out patrolling the neighborhoods.

I don't know... sometimes I think Kel is the "nut case" for having so many German Shepherds. Golly Gee! You make me laugh ti Just kidding!
Rajah
Rajah

My Name : Rajah's dad
My Pet(s) : Rajah (APBT), Cody, Phoenix, Tucson, & Rumor (GSPs)
Number of posts : 512
Aries Snake

http://www.flyinghighk9s.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jjh904 Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:20 pm

how scary!! Kel-we will all be your personal witnesses if this comes to anything!! these people are zealots-good thinking about the police report.
jjh904
jjh904

My Name : Janet
My Pet(s) : Brothers-Gus and Jack(boxer/lab),Eve(newfie/golden),David(siamese)
Number of posts : 87
Virgo Horse

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:20 pm

Thanks, Janet. You too, Jeff (for the humor- Smarty Pants also with multiplesSweet!).
Hopefully Kel will not need people to speak on her behalf, but it is nice to know there are those willing to do so.
Angela
Angela

Back to top Go down

Post by AmphibiousAssaultDogTeam Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:40 pm

Too bad she don't know how much the dogs like working. Dogs arent people and actually like to have a purpose. it is wrong to leave your dog sit around all day and do nothing. If she is actually with a group of activists she should bring her group over and show them how excited they get when they get to work. She should be out fighting against Vick and Real dog abusers. What nerve
AmphibiousAssaultDogTeam
AmphibiousAssaultDogTeam

My Name : Norman Candi and Dakota Brown
My Pet(s) : Kota's Delight Kady Bark Kent Chaos
Number of posts : 206
Libra Horse

Back to top Go down

Post by Kel Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:19 pm

You know, Jeff... I could say the same thing about you and Beth with all your GSPs. Just kidding! Heh.

Anyway, thank you everyone for the support. Hopefully, this won't progress any further and we'll have seen the last of this woman and types like her. If that is not the case, however, it is definitely nice to see there are those out there who are willing to speak on my and my boys' behalf.
Kel
Kel

Gemini

Back to top Go down

Post by Phoenix Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:28 pm

Ahh but we now have more APBT's than GSP's! LOL :-) All in good fun. You are an amazing person and great with your dogs Kel. We have your back if you need it!
Phoenix
Phoenix

My Name : Beth
My Pet(s) : Phoenix,Rajah,Cody, Tucson, Rumor
Number of posts : 1001
Sagittarius Dog

http://flyinghighk9s.weebly.com/index.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Petcrazy213 Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:30 pm

Kel, did this happen to YOU or are you just re-posting? Because I read this exact same post on another breed forum.
Petcrazy213
Petcrazy213
BARK-A-BOUT AIR DOGS MEMBER

My Name : Jenny
My Pet(s) : 5 PJRT (as well as a couple cats, a bunny, and many fish)
Number of posts : 219
Aquarius Dragon

http://www.topsyturvyterriers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Petcrazy213 Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:36 pm

Ok, never mind, it was the other person who re-posted this from your post on the UKC site.

What are these crazy activists going to think of next! They are truely scary people!
Petcrazy213
Petcrazy213

Aquarius Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Kel Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:08 pm

Who re-posted it and to what forum? (just out of curiosity)
Kel
Kel

Gemini

Back to top Go down

Post by Petcrazy213 Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:17 pm

Not sure who but it was on either one of the Rat terrier boards I check in on or one of my JRT boards. I'll have to go back through them and check and see which one for sure.

That's terrible that these activists think it's ok to go to a person's own home and start telling them what to do. Especially when the animals being discussed are so obviously well cared for and in great physical shape. I hope you never have to deal with her, or any other activists, again. Good that you filed a police report, too. I don't think I would have thought to do that.
Petcrazy213
Petcrazy213

Aquarius Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Kel Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:48 pm

Thanks, Jenny. My guess is that it is likely one of the Rat Terrier boards, since I had a Rat Terrier breeder PM me about the situation. She offered to email me a copy of the report from a visit/threat she received. I replied thanking her and saying I would be interested in seeing it, but have yet to hear from her again.
Kel
Kel

Gemini

Back to top Go down

Post by MaraLee Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:22 pm

Kel, Bill and I will vouch for you and the wonderful care you give your boys. We are sorry that you had to go through this. Good idea about the police report.

MaraLee and Bill
MaraLee
MaraLee
Webmistress

My Name : MaraLee
My Pet(s) : Lucy and Waffles, the Labs... Gus and Rufus, the Guinea Pigs
Sponsors : Bill and Lynnie!
Number of posts : 801
Gemini Snake

http://www.ultimateairdogs.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:05 pm

Oh, I just cannot resist.
Maralee, your mentioning Bill's willingness to speak on Kel's behalf too put me in mind of something he said (on the mike) at a pet adoption event in Sterling Heights quite some time ago. I thought I would die laughing as I watched her turn beet red at the end of the dock.
Just in case neither of you remember just what he said, I"ll PM you.
Angela
Angela

Back to top Go down

Post by TR75 Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:22 pm

Now we all want to know what he said if it made Kel turn red.
TR75
TR75

My Name : Matt
My Pet(s) : Jake & Gunther
Sponsors : Nylabone
Number of posts : 1345
Gemini Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by MaraLee Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:54 pm

Please, tell them, Angela. Yes, I do remember. Warning to N VA area teams... "animal rights activist" visit/threat Icon_smile

It's really, really funny! Poor Kel. Warning to N VA area teams... "animal rights activist" visit/threat Icon_redface

(Hint: It involves the above smiley.)

MaraLee
MaraLee
MaraLee
Webmistress

My Name : MaraLee
My Pet(s) : Lucy and Waffles, the Labs... Gus and Rufus, the Guinea Pigs
Sponsors : Bill and Lynnie!
Number of posts : 801
Gemini Snake

http://www.ultimateairdogs.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:48 pm

Ya, I guess it wasn't that bad.
But you 'gotta picture Kel's high level of independence. Warning to N VA area teams... "animal rights activist" visit/threat Icon_redface
Here is a copy of my PM to Maralee:

This happened way before Kel dated Justin... I think at the first pet adoption event in Sterling Heights. Kel was bringing up one of her boys to jump on the dock. Bill was doing the announcing. He began the introduction as he, Milt and Brian normally do. Kel gets up there with her dog and Bill decides to color the intro a little more: He told the guys in the audience that they should pay attention, that Kel was unattached and available. He then sang her praises a little but I was too distracted watching her turn red to notice what else he said. It was a hoot!
Ah, the Kodak moments of yesteryear Warning to N VA area teams... "animal rights activist" visit/threat Icon_cheers

Although Bill has a bit of the devil in him, I do not think that it was his intention at all to embarrass Kel. The more he said though, the redder she turned.
Angela
Angela

Back to top Go down

Post by Wild Bill Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:50 pm

Good times!
Wild Bill
Wild Bill

My Name : Bill
My Pet(s) : Waffles & Lucy
Number of posts : 2
Taurus Goat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down