ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Welcome to the ULTIMATE AIR DOGS Message Board!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Welcome to the ULTIMATE AIR DOGS Message Board!
ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Conformation show in MI

+11
JT
Angela
Ten
team sky
telsmith1
Kel
DogsUnlimited
IlonaHWV
Phoenix
Laszlo's Botond
Sara
15 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Conformation show in MI - Page 2 Empty Re: Conformation show in MI

Post by team sky Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:48 pm

Beth, we have never tried confirmation before with Sky because if you read AKC breed standard she does not really fit the bill. She is leaner, has a narrower head and definitely does not have the "otter like tail" that is required by AKC and probably UKC. BT would love to give it a try and he may well go, but having never done this could someone out there give us some guidelines of what is expected. I am quite sure that there are many of you that give us a lot of pointers or tips, so bring it on, and give us some honest feed back as well.
team sky
team sky

My Name : Brian Butler
My Pet(s) : Sky
Number of posts : 709
Pisces Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by IlonaHWV Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:38 pm

I should be there on Saturday. Anyone who that needs help/hints/guidence while there please feel free to come and find me. I will only have little Marta most likely, so I should have plently of free time.
IlonaHWV
IlonaHWV

My Name : Lisa
Number of posts : 64
Leo Pig

http://www.ilonavizslas.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DogsUnlimited Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:18 pm

Thanks for the information!!!

I'm not really sure what is meant by a "CGC test" - is it just mean you will be able to see where your dog stands in relation to the breed standard??

I will do some more digging on what other events I might be able to get Hunter into - maybe pointing???!!!!
DogsUnlimited
DogsUnlimited

My Pet(s) : Cajun, Champ, Bear, Hunter & Riot
Number of posts : 273
Sagittarius Horse

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:30 pm

CGC= Canine Good Citizen, a pass/ fail test of your dog's manners, self-confidence and self-control/restraint in a semi-public setting by a certified tester.
There is some heel work, greeting strangers, ignoring other dogs, a supervised out of sight (from you), and I'm not sure what else right now (Kel knows).
Angela
Angela

Number of posts : 273

Back to top Go down

Post by IlonaHWV Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:45 pm

DogsUnlimited wrote:Thanks for the information!!!

I'm not really sure what is meant by a "CGC test" - is it just mean you will be able to see where your dog stands in relation to the breed standard??

I will do some more digging on what other events I might be able to get Hunter into - maybe pointing???!!!!

http://www.akc.org/events/cgc/training_testing.cfm

The breed standard has nothing to do with getting a CGC even mixed breeds can CGC test.
IlonaHWV
IlonaHWV

Leo Pig

Back to top Go down

Post by Kel Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:57 pm

Yup, there 'ya go... Beth beat me to it. Just kidding!

Brian, in my opinion at least, Sky is BY FAR way closer to what a good Lab should look like in comparison to what is often seen in the AKC (and sometimes other organizations) breed ring. A good Lab should not be horridly obese, have short, stubby legs, a block head with an overdone stop, etc. They should not get winded just running outside for a short walk around the block... they should be able to go out and work in the field/lake all day like they were originally bred to do! UKC, unlike AKC, tends to promote more working structured dogs (although there are always some unfortunate exceptions to that... like some judges who still insist that a GSD shaped like a triangle and walking around on its hocks and pasterns is correct... nevermind the dogs would never be able to physically withstand any sort of work!), so, you never know... Sky just might do fine in UKC. Personally, I'd give it a go if I were you. And, be sure to ask the judge after the completion of your class if he/she has any comments/critique points on your dog. That way, you can get a better idea of what those individual judges look for in your breed. You can even mention it's your first time showing and that's why you're curious about opinions from anyone (although it's even in the rules for UKC conf that judges are encouraged to give comments and exhibitors are encouraged to ask for them).

Myself, I would love to see more true, working Labs in the conf ring like Sky... rather than the "flabadors" too often shown. But, well, that's just me at least. Just kidding!
Kel
Kel

My Name : "The Girl with the GSDs"
My Pet(s) : Aro, Scot, Jack Tar, Baako & Kon
Number of posts : 1673
Gemini

http://www.frozenfirek9s.com/Joomla/

Back to top Go down

Post by Phoenix Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:25 pm

Kel-
Thanks for saying what I was wanting to say to Brian about entering Sky but wasn't sure how to say it! :-)
Phoenix
Phoenix

My Name : Beth
My Pet(s) : Phoenix,Rajah,Cody, Tucson, Rumor
Number of posts : 1001
Sagittarius Dog

http://flyinghighk9s.weebly.com/index.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Sara Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:38 pm

You'll see a lot more 'field' labs put up in the UKC ring too. It's worth a try Brian!!! Shoot I might show Fiona in veterans just for fun and she is not necessarily ideal for a Weim and I have NO DOUBT she will throw a fit at some point and try to lay down like she did when we were setting the dogs up for the picture at my Xmas party! You should try it, seriously!
Sara
Sara

My Name : Sara
My Pet(s) : Oskar, Carly, Fiona
Number of posts : 791
Scorpio Goat

http://www.freewebs.com/oskarboogerman

Back to top Go down

Post by team sky Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:45 pm

Thanks for the input everyone.. Since i read the breed standards and found "her"faults, (not a black nose although it is pigmented, thinner tail, I guess that depends on your definition of "otter like", and the fact that she is by no means a "flababdor" in fact she is just barely 52 lbs and the standard is 55 lbs.) I was not even sure that it would be worthwhile trying her. However I guess it can't hurt.

So perhaps we will give it a try, but I guarantee that BT will want to have some support from the other UAD'ers there.
Since this would be his first time, I am quite sure he will want to get all the pointers he can get and hopefully the UKC judges will give him some information as well.
team sky
team sky

Pisces Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sara Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:49 pm

Hey I'm right there with him. My only experience showing was with Oskar at the fun match at Flint Goes to the Dogs (which he won Best in Match--all him, not me!) I'm going just for fun and experience, and I'm sure there will be plenty of people to offer tips and advice---it's not cutthroat like the 'other' registry's shows can be as I have heard.
Sara
Sara

My Name : Sara
My Pet(s) : Oskar, Carly, Fiona
Number of posts : 791
Scorpio Goat

http://www.freewebs.com/oskarboogerman

Back to top Go down

Post by IlonaHWV Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:55 pm

I say as long as Sky has no DQ UKC faults its worth a try.
IlonaHWV
IlonaHWV

Leo Pig

Back to top Go down

Post by Phoenix Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:19 pm

We will be there for him. Sara is going to crate by us and Brian is more than welcome. There are always those few who are upetty at a dog show but I think we will out number them. :-)
Phoenix
Phoenix

My Name : Beth
My Pet(s) : Phoenix,Rajah,Cody, Tucson, Rumor
Number of posts : 1001
Sagittarius Dog

http://flyinghighk9s.weebly.com/index.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Ten Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:38 pm

Brian... definitely do it... If it was feasible for me to be there, I would bring Ten and join in on the Fun. Of course, you would never catch me in the ring. I do know a friend that shows Just kidding! Snickering I would especially love to watch Fiona Rascally Rabbit Laugin' out loud!

Barb, Rock Star and Ten Jump, jump, jump! bird
Ten
Ten

My Name : Ten
Number of posts : 71
Aries Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by team sky Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:46 pm

Fimona would be quite interesting to watch in the ring. I can see the judge come up to her and have her snarl at him and say "can you see my teeth well enough".
team sky
team sky

Pisces Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Ten Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:59 pm

team sky wrote:Fimona would be quite interesting to watch in the ring. I can see the judge come up to her and have her snarl at him and say "can you see my teeth well enough".

OMG, someone please take a photo of the judge for me Scream!!! ......poor Fiona me Ona. I love that crazzzzy girl.

Barb, Rock Star and Ten Jump, jump, jump! bird
Ten
Ten

My Name : Ten
Number of posts : 71
Aries Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Kel Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:58 pm

True, she doesn't have the "ideal" otter like tail, but I wouldn't really fault her on anything else (besides the light pigment on the nose, which is a minor thing... no pigment at all would be a more serious fault). The tail shouldn't be an issue, really. I've seen tons of Labs without more otter like tails get put up. Movement is very key... and I'd say Sky should be able to out move dang near every LR I've seen in the conf ring (being as heavy and short legged as they sometimes unfortunately are). There was one LR down here in VA I really liked (a Blk male who looked more "fieldy"), but then I saw his temperament (very aggressive). He was nice to look at, but I can't compliment him beyond that.

Oh, and I can *guarantee* you that the "flabadors" are nowhere near making that 55 lb mark you mentioned. The only thing keeping some of them lighter is the overly short legs.

My guess is Sky should do just fine. Sweet!
Kel
Kel

Gemini

Back to top Go down

Post by JT Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:23 pm

ill be there with roxi. it will be my first time in the ring but atleast roxi has done it before. also practice stacking it can be a real trick to get it done right if you can take some pics im sure some one would be willing to look at them and give you some pointers.
JT
JT

My Name : jamie
My Pet(s) : mikey pb 18'6 uv5'6 , mavrick pb 16 something over 19 when he decides to jump. and Roxi 4 y old GSP she just cheers the boys on. and timber comming in 2010 to a dock near you
Number of posts : 406
Capricorn Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by team sky Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:50 pm

Well with food it only took thirty seconds for me to get her to go on point for 45 seconds and just stand there (yes, she does point food, and wild birds. Just not those stinky preserve birds). So here are some pictures of her stance. I hope a happy lab tail isn't a problem. She wags her tail when anyone has food.
I think they are supposed to be stacked in a natural pose right?

Conformation show in MI - Page 2 Img_8710Conformation show in MI - Page 2 Img_8711Conformation show in MI - Page 2 Img_8712Conformation show in MI - Page 2 Img_8713

Last edited by team sky on Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
team sky
team sky

Pisces Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by LynnSWD Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:56 pm

Brain
if you would like a few other pointers on showing (not that I am a professional - I only have 7 years experience) I would be happy to help.....I wish I was going to be at this show too be/c Miss Lola has finally grown out of her awkward stage......but I will be in FLORIDA at the Destin event!!! Sunny Day!

Lynn
paw
LynnSWD
LynnSWD

My Name : Lynn
My Pet(s) : Lola, Bamba
Number of posts : 604
Cancer Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by team sky Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:58 pm

LynnSWD wrote:Brain
if you would like a few other pointers on showing (not that I am a professional - I only have 7 years experience) I would be happy to help.....I wish I was going to be at this show too be/c Miss Lola has finally grown out of her awkward stage......but I will be in FLORIDA at the Destin event!!! Sunny Day!

Lynn
paw

NOT FAIR. I will take your place in Destin if you really want to show Lola instead. Ultimate Air Elation
team sky
team sky

Pisces Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by JT Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:02 pm

http://www.nightwindlabs.com/JammerWDBOWYork5607.jpg

here is a pick of a lab just to give you an idea of what your after as far as stacking goes.

also a show lead is a good idea they are cheap i have one like this
http://cgi.ebay.com/MARTINGALE-COLLAR-LEASH-COMBO-Dog-Show-Lead-Large-BLACK_W0QQitemZ350162509531QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item350162509531&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50
JT
JT

My Pet(s) : mikey pb 18'6 uv5'6 , mavrick pb 16 something over 19 when he decides to jump. and Roxi 4 y old GSP she just cheers the boys on. and timber comming in 2010 to a dock near you
Capricorn Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Kel Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:34 pm

Okay, here's what I see based on the pics... her front is very well placed in the 3rd and 4th pic. Her far foreleg is too far forward in the other two. Ideally, they should be at a 90 degree angle with the ground, even with each other, and at a width apart that allows them to fall directly down from her chest width.

Her rear legs should be pulled back a little further. Yes, according to where her hocks are, it is fairly correct (the length from her hock to her paw should be at a 90 degree angle to the ground), but you will want to stretch her a little more since she appears to be (at least in those pics) rather straight through her stifle (like the knee joint on dogs). Ideally, she should have more angulation there to better balance with the angles through her shoulder. In person, though, I don't remember her being so straight through her stifle... so it may just be the pic or stack angle. Stretching her a bit more will help make her rear balance better with her front. She also appears a bit high in the rear (her croup is higher than her withers), which is also common in dogs with straighter stifles because they get extra height from lacking the greater angles. Again, this may just be these particular pictures and not what I'd see in person.

As for good points, I think she has very nice color, a very good front (shoulder and leg positioning), a nice head, and excellent muscle tone and overall condition. When stacking her, my recommendation would be to angle her slightly towards the judge to show off her front. My guess is her movement will also be a lot more solid than most Labs.

Hope that helps! Sweet! I'm sure Lynn can offer a lot of help, too, along with Beth at the show itself.

Last edited by Kel on Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kel
Kel

Gemini

Back to top Go down

Post by team sky Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:36 pm

Being that sky is straighter hocked than a lot of labs she looks really awkward with her rear legs out farther. Being my first time I will see what the judge says. I have her to the point where she will stand and be steady like the picture. But, If I try and move her rear legs out she gets upset.

I am also borrowing a "show" leash hopefully from Beth.
team sky
team sky

Pisces Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Kel Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:42 pm

That's fine. Sweet! If she's more comfortable with them pulled forward more, show her that way. It's definitely more important she be happy with the experience. And, like I said, it may just be those individual pics since I don't remember her stifles being as straight when seeing her in person.
Kel
Kel

Gemini

Back to top Go down

Post by JT Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:43 pm

also how is she about haveing her teeth checked, i know that was something i had to work with roxi on as she really didnt like her mouth messed with. and since were getting pointers here is a pic of roxi i took today. Conformation show in MI - Page 2 Roxistack
JT
JT

Capricorn Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next