ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Welcome to the ULTIMATE AIR DOGS Message Board!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Welcome to the ULTIMATE AIR DOGS Message Board!
ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leaving early, question for some of the veterans or anyone else.

+2
rocketdog
Chessies on the Dock
6 posters

Go down

Leaving early, question for some of the veterans or anyone else. Empty Leaving early, question for some of the veterans or anyone else.

Post by Chessies on the Dock Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:39 pm

Okay, so, Miss Meadow Buttercup jumped running dog her heart out this weekend aside from

the smell on the dock and her other distractions, lol. She jumped well and I am so proud of her. I am, however, so frustrated Dang Nab It! by this leaving 2 to 4 feet early every single time, no matter where I place her. She's jumping 20 and 21's and that doesn't count the 2-4 feet of dock distance from leaving early. I have no idea what to do. As most of you know I do place and send. She has just learned the chase, but we've had no time to practice therefore I don't do it in competition. This weekend was our first event of the year and dock time was limited as it will be at the next event too. Obviously, she's jumping big and it sure would be great to have that distance actually added to our score if she was hitting the end of the dock instead of the, "Meadow left early". Any suggestions??

Laura H. - I'm thinking you might have some advice too Judges

Thanks!
Chessies on the Dock
Chessies on the Dock

My Pet(s) : Meadow, Sage and the cats (Cadi and Bodie)
Number of posts : 760

http://ChessiesontheDock.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Leaving early, question for some of the veterans or anyone else. Empty Re: Leaving early, question for some of the veterans or anyone else.

Post by rocketdog Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:04 pm

If you saw Lilly jump you noticed the hose that they put on the dock for her about 4-5 feet back. Maybe you could try something like that for Meadow. The idea is that the dog will take one step over the obstacle then jump. Maybe if you put the obstacle about 3 feet back you can get her to take that extra step. The first few times she might slow down a bit, but she also might get it into her head to go a little further. It's worth a try at the next event. They used the vacuum hose that was used to clean up the water on the floor. That is also something that the dock hurdle might help with since it's a visual obstacle that she has to clear at the end of the dock.
rocketdog
rocketdog

My Name : Jason
My Pet(s) : Rocky, Newman, and Leo
Number of posts : 897
Sagittarius Snake

http://www.teamrocketdog.net

Back to top Go down

Leaving early, question for some of the veterans or anyone else. Empty Re: Leaving early, question for some of the veterans or anyone else.

Post by crazyjackpack Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:21 pm

We also have this problem with Gumpy. He doesn't do it all the time but he does have a tendancy to leave 3 or 4 feet early. Sarah has tried placing him at the end of the dock then slowly moving him back. She also has to do the place and send method as sit and stay are not in his vocabulary anywhere near the dock.. (He can do it at home with no problems ). I am going to get her to try a pool noodle as see if that will work.
crazyjackpack
crazyjackpack

My Name : Aimee and Sarah
My Pet(s) : Forrest Gumpy (gone but not forgotten) ,, Jitter Bug,, Cpt. Jack,, Shella , Staccato (I'm not a JRT), Clay (my first jump will be in July.. we hope)
Location : Rest is peace sweat Gumpy, UAG Master Champ, Jr. Handler Champ and Featherweight champ.
Number of posts : 550
Aquarius Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by CoffeeDogs Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:47 pm

Shari,

Just some questions so I can see where you're at.
-So, this weekend, you did "place & send" and she still left early?
-When did you start doing chase with her?
-Did she leave early before starting chase?
-Where do you stand?

Suggestions will be different depending on the circumstances. I have been lucky to not have that problem with Mocha. Our problem is exactly the opposite. She pushes off the end of the dock so hard that she sometimes slips off the banners/end of dock.

CoffeeDogs

My Name : Laura
My Pet(s) : Mocha & Kona
Number of posts : 126
Taurus Snake

http://www.teamcoffeedogs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Chessies on the Dock Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:49 pm

Laura,

I will pm you.
Chessies on the Dock
Chessies on the Dock

My Pet(s) : Meadow, Sage and the cats (Cadi and Bodie)
Number of posts : 760

http://ChessiesontheDock.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sara Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:41 pm

Shari if you figure it out let me know!!! Oskar's the exact same way, and I've been trying to figure it out for 3 years. Ultimate Air Elation

If you try the approach Dan was using (it's called a cavaletti with horses) I would put it further than three feet back--her stride is longer than three feet. If you put it there I guarantee she will take off there. I'd try about 8 feet back to start with, and see where she's taking off then. I've tried it a few times with Oskar and he either slows down or takes off where I put it, even if it is further back. Plus, you might get them trained on one dock that way but every dock is different. Even if you figure out where to start them by counting strides, as I try to do with Oskar sometimes, they can readjust their stride to take off early again. It's kind of a crap shoot. Horses are MUCH easier to train with strides than dogs, let me tell you!
Sara
Sara

My Name : Sara
My Pet(s) : Oskar, Carly, Fiona
Number of posts : 791
Scorpio Goat

http://www.freewebs.com/oskarboogerman

Back to top Go down

Post by Ann DHondt Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:39 pm

Horses are MUCH easier to train with strides than dogs, let me tell you!
AMEN to that Sara!!!

I thought the "caveletti" idea was great for Lily. Dan said sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. You would have to be careful they don't see it as a take off.

I know with Belle where I stand she leaves. So when we jump her I make sure I am as close to the edge as physically possible. If my feet are spread out far and I am not at the end she leaves where my first foot she reaches is. I love Teddi, every picture we have of her jumping her toes are wrapped around the edge of the dock. No dock wasted on her.
Ann DHondt
Ann DHondt

My Name : Ann
My Pet(s) : Belle, Teddi, Quinn, Gabby and always in my heart Maxine
Number of posts : 301
Cancer Rat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down