ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Welcome to the ULTIMATE AIR DOGS Message Board!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Welcome to the ULTIMATE AIR DOGS Message Board!
ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Practice?

+2
JT
DareBare
6 posters

Go down

Practice? Empty Practice?

Post by DareBare Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:28 pm

Hello,

My name is Darren and I am interested in learning more about this sport with my dog, Raleigh.

We were looking to attend the upcoming show in Novi to give it a try and see how he would do with the water jumping, but alas, the Splashes were all filled up, so we will probably come and watch the events.

We are thinking about attending the practice session, which actually brings me to my question.
I live in Lansing, and I was wondered if there are any 'practice' areas/places available nearby - someplace where there is a jump ramp set up? I would like to be able to see how he reacts to the situation prior to all of the surrounding excitement (?) He is a good dog and enjoys chasing his toy into the water very much, I am just not sure how he would concentrate with all of the other distractions going on in such an environment.

Thanks for any help on this matter,
Darren

DareBare

My Name : Darren Williams
My Pet(s) : Raleigh Wiggles
Number of posts : 3
Gemini Cat

Back to top Go down

Practice? Empty Re: Practice?

Post by JT Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:55 pm

well first off welcome and be prepared for a highly addictive sport and a great way to spend time with your four legged family members. I dont know of any places to practice this time of year, indoor events are very dificult because of time restraints. this sport is growing so fast back when we started about 2 years ago it wasnt hard to get on the dock for a little practice. i guess milt or brian would be able to answere the question on trying it out in novi. but as far as just practice during the summer if you can find a lake with a dock your all set i take the dogs down almost daily to play. well just wanted to say welcome and hopfully you get the chance to go play
JT
JT

My Name : jamie
My Pet(s) : mikey pb 18'6 uv5'6 , mavrick pb 16 something over 19 when he decides to jump. and Roxi 4 y old GSP she just cheers the boys on. and timber comming in 2010 to a dock near you
Number of posts : 406
Capricorn Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:16 pm

Hello and welcome.
Jamie is right- getting dock time at an indoor event for those just wishing to give it a try is not easy now that the sport has gained in popularity. You have the right idea in attending to check things out, asking questions, introducing yourself as a newbie.

Most competitors are very eager to assist the "greenhorns" and their four-legged partners. These events can turn into social events for the competitors though, so do make sure you introduce yourself or we are likely to just keep blabbing away among ourselves.
You seem to already know your dog might be overcome by all the excitement. That's good- not everyone thinks that far ahead. Have you competed in other sports with your dog? If so, what type? Indoor or out? Has your dog been exposed to a PA system and the reverberating noises that those can give?
I started to type a lot of recommendations, then realized you may already have prepped your dog in just such a manner. I guess I should wait until I have a better sense of what info would serve you and your dog best.
Angela
Angela

Number of posts : 273

Back to top Go down

Post by jtallen Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:57 pm

Darren,
I live in the Lansing Area
Give me a call and we can talk
Jim
517-977-7153
jtallen
jtallen

My Pet(s) : Rogan, Molly, Maggie, Moose, Cracker
Number of posts : 1343
Leo Cat

http://www.teamsecondchance.net

Back to top Go down

Post by DareBare Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:51 pm

Hello!
Thank you for the welcome.
Thanks for the information JT & Angela.

Raleigh and I are able to get some water jumping in during the summer, but it has not been anything sanctioned, nor do I know really how far he is jumping. But he has a blast and will not stop until I make him...

I was not sure if there was a dock or jumping facility around for practice in the winter time, which it looks like is when all of the jumping competition takes place according to the calendar. I guess, I am being a little over protective with him, regarding the venue environment (I am sure he would probably like outdoors better), but he is a good natured animal and not much seems to phase him - especially if I have his ball... Sweet!

Thanks again for the comments & suggestions.

Jim, I will give you a ring to talk more about this matter. Thanks.

Good Luck to you and your dogs this weekend at Novi!

DareBare

My Name : Darren Williams
My Pet(s) : Raleigh Wiggles
Number of posts : 3
Gemini Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Kel Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:15 pm

Actually, most of the events are during the spring and summer months... it's just that they are not completely finalized and, thus, not yet posted on the website's schedule. Sweet! So, you can expect to see lots of warm weather, outdoor events!

As for a practice facility during winter... there unfortunately isn't really one available yet (except for a few states where people have taken advantage of small, indoor pools for basic practice/conditioning... doesn't help too much with the really big jumpers, but at least it's something... still, they are very few in number and hard to locate). During the summer, in MI, there are several public docks people practice at, along with a regular competition/training setup in Romulus, MI.
Kel
Kel

My Name : "The Girl with the GSDs"
My Pet(s) : Aro, Scot, Jack Tar, Baako & Kon
Number of posts : 1673
Gemini

http://www.frozenfirek9s.com/Joomla/

Back to top Go down

Post by Chessies on the Dock Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:17 pm

Darren,

I think you are wise to be a bit "overprotective". You absolutely want his first experience at an event to be a good one. Angela did a great job of listing all of the "considerations". Even some of the more seasoned dogs don't do as well indoors. It's a great idea to come watch an event first. There can be distractions though that you may not realize as a spectator as much as you would if you were up on the dock. The first event I watched was Novi 2 years ago. My view as a spectator was different than the first time getting my girls on the dock. If your dog ends up loving the sport the rewards will be endless. As Angela said, please introduce yourself!

Milt also said in another post that there will be 3 events in Kalamazoo this year that will have plenty of practice time. See the post "The Good Old Days".
Chessies on the Dock
Chessies on the Dock

My Pet(s) : Meadow, Sage and the cats (Cadi and Bodie)
Number of posts : 760

http://ChessiesontheDock.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down