ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Welcome to the ULTIMATE AIR DOGS Message Board!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Welcome to the ULTIMATE AIR DOGS Message Board!
ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Splash questions

+5
Gingers Dad
labpaw
flyingbcs
jtallen
Team Irish
9 posters

Go down

Splash questions Empty Splash questions

Post by Team Irish Fri May 09, 2008 8:17 am

In thinking about the upcoming summer busy jumping season, I wondered why dog's are not able to make their two jumps back to back in a splash. I would think it would be better for the dog/handler by reinforcing with repetition. I would think as far as the logistical part of it, it would also be beneficial and get the dogs through the splashes faster. Also for those who have multiple dogs or dogs who get overly anxious in line [ahem, Bailey] as soon as they were done with their two jumps, you know you could go back to your tent, dry off your dog, crate them, etc.

Any thoughts as to if this would be a good idea?
Team Irish
Team Irish

My Name : Jillian
My Pet(s) : Bailey (YL), Reese (CL mix)
Number of posts : 457
Pisces Dog

Back to top Go down

Splash questions Empty Re: Splash questions

Post by jtallen Fri May 09, 2008 9:04 am

Sounds like an interesting idea, would mean a lot less running back and forth, and having to keep track of where they are in the order
but I assume there is a reason for the way it is.
I am sure we will hear what it is.
jtallen
jtallen

My Pet(s) : Rogan, Molly, Maggie, Moose, Cracker
Number of posts : 1343
Leo Cat

http://www.teamsecondchance.net

Back to top Go down

Post by flyingbcs Fri May 09, 2008 9:17 am

I can think of one major disadvantage for the dogs in doing this would be a lot more water on the dock and the increase for potential slipping.
flyingbcs
flyingbcs

My Pet(s) : Lansing
Number of posts : 267

Back to top Go down

Post by jtallen Fri May 09, 2008 10:58 am

good point Ann
jtallen
jtallen

My Pet(s) : Rogan, Molly, Maggie, Moose, Cracker
Number of posts : 1343
Leo Cat

http://www.teamsecondchance.net

Back to top Go down

Post by labpaw Fri May 09, 2008 11:09 am

I think it might change the way the show played out for the spectators. Majorly Confused And the slippage... Golly Gee!

But otherwise, not sure why we don't do it that way. huh?
labpaw
labpaw

My Name : Alisa
My Pet(s) : Pooh, Colby, Gracie Lou, Abe, Stew, Web, Miss P, & Goo
Number of posts : 1061
Taurus Pig

http://www.teamblabador.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingers Dad Fri May 09, 2008 11:15 am

im very new to it but i just figured it was done this way for the crowd to build antispation and to give your dog a little break between the jumps .

Gingers Dad

My Name : Bob
My Pet(s) : Ginger, Hemi-lou ,Sofie , &Roxy
Number of posts : 503
Taurus Horse

Back to top Go down

Post by crazyjackpack Fri May 09, 2008 12:01 pm

I know for Sarah and Gumpy, he needs that break in between jumps. It may not be a long break but it is long enough for her to refocus him because once he gets that chicken his focus is gone. She has tried back to back jumps with him and he jumped close to two feet shorter on the second jump.
crazyjackpack
crazyjackpack

My Name : Aimee and Sarah
My Pet(s) : Forrest Gumpy (gone but not forgotten) ,, Jitter Bug,, Cpt. Jack,, Shella , Staccato (I'm not a JRT), Clay (my first jump will be in July.. we hope)
Location : Rest is peace sweat Gumpy, UAG Master Champ, Jr. Handler Champ and Featherweight champ.
Number of posts : 550
Aquarius Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Phoenix Fri May 09, 2008 2:45 pm

See I would love that as after Moose has gone in once he will come right back up and jump better if he could go right in a second time. I think Rajah could benefit from this during indoor/ colder events too as he get soooo cold waiting for his second turn. There will always be pros and cons to any way things are done though.
Phoenix
Phoenix

My Name : Beth
My Pet(s) : Phoenix,Rajah,Cody, Tucson, Rumor
Number of posts : 1001
Sagittarius Dog

http://flyinghighk9s.weebly.com/index.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Kel Fri May 09, 2008 3:03 pm

I personally prefer it as is... even though I handle several dogs and they are all absolutely insane at dock events. We do a lot of running back and forth... but I still prefer it that way. Here's my reasons:

1. As Ann mentioned, it would very likely help with excess water on the dock. I know some people don't, but I (and some others) dry their dogs near completely between jumps. I do this at cold events because I want their muscles staying warm and at warm events I just want some of the excess water weight off them because they weigh enough already as it is!

2. It gives the dogs time to play, get praise, and refocus. It also builds anticipation as they watch the other dogs. Aro in particular loves watching certain dogs on the dock... Anna's Colby probably being his favorite.

3. Safety. I think you might see a lot of people getting careless with leashing and keeping close to their dogs if they just went straight back up on the dock again right after their first jump. I've seen people do this during practice (either just staying on the dock and calling their dog back up, past everyone else... or coming down partially or completely, but still letting their dog run loose by everyone). I have seen several dogs almost get nailed by dogs in line because of this. I have to admit that I have practiced my dogs this way myself... but it was only when the other dogs nearby were well-known and friends with my own dog. I just recently had a conversation with Milt regarding safety at UAD events and he made a very good point that, despite the high drive and excitement of these events, we have been lucky to not have any major incidents. Making sure everyone is under control and properly supervised between jumps is probably a big part of that.

On the other hand, I can see back-to-back jumps being a big help to new dogs or those working on confidence in their jumping. I would certainly like it with Baako or Scot, for example. But, would I want it for Aro or Jack Tar? Nope.

Milt has, in the past, allowed people to take back-to-back jumps for various reasons. This was done in Novice Finals at Premier last year, for example, because Indy (a WS) was due in the conformation ring within minutes. So, Milt let Indy take his jumps back-to-back at the start of Novice Finals, so that he could rush off to the other ring. I think it has worked fine in those exception cases... but I wouldn't want to see it become a regularity... even though there are some benefits.
Kel
Kel

My Name : "The Girl with the GSDs"
My Pet(s) : Aro, Scot, Jack Tar, Baako & Kon
Number of posts : 1673
Gemini

http://www.frozenfirek9s.com/Joomla/

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fri May 09, 2008 3:19 pm

Remember the Bark in the Park charity event not too long ago? The day started out beautifully, but eventually the blue gave way to a very dark sky. The jump order was planned for the traditional- everyone once, then everyone a second time. The last dog just barely got in its first jump when the weather turned on us with a vengeance. Safety became a concern (high winds, heavy rain, thunder and lightning Scream!!! ).
So, at least for the outdoor events, perhaps it would be best to keep the running order system the way it is.
Angela
Angela

Number of posts : 273

Back to top Go down

Post by Kel Fri May 09, 2008 3:37 pm

That's a good point... that way, should an event need to be stopped/delayed for whatever reason, hopefully each dog will at least be through their first jump.
Kel
Kel

My Name : "The Girl with the GSDs"
My Pet(s) : Aro, Scot, Jack Tar, Baako & Kon
Number of posts : 1673
Gemini

http://www.frozenfirek9s.com/Joomla/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down