ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Welcome to the ULTIMATE AIR DOGS Message Board!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Welcome to the ULTIMATE AIR DOGS Message Board!
ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Indoor Season

+6
rocketdog
stephz
crazyjackpack
Phoenix
TR75
AmphibiousAssaultDogTeam
10 posters

Go down

Indoor Season Empty Indoor Season

Post by AmphibiousAssaultDogTeam Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:38 pm

With The indoor season coming up and that dreadful snow and cold returning. What are some tips and differences between the indoor and outdoor season. Someone told us to get neoprene vests and bring lots of towels but what other tips are there out there for our first indoor season.
AmphibiousAssaultDogTeam
AmphibiousAssaultDogTeam

My Name : Norman Candi and Dakota Brown
My Pet(s) : Kota's Delight Kady Bark Kent Chaos
Number of posts : 206
Libra Horse

Back to top Go down

Indoor Season Empty Re: Indoor Season

Post by TR75 Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:43 pm

Be prepared for that fact that she may not jump as well (or at all) indoors.

When Jake used to compete he did not like the indoor events at all.

Some dogs don't seem to care and hopefully Kady is one of those.
TR75
TR75

My Name : Matt
My Pet(s) : Jake & Gunther
Sponsors : Nylabone
Number of posts : 1345
Gemini Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by AmphibiousAssaultDogTeam Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:47 pm

Kady loves the cold, she was bustin through the ice in my dads tiny pond to get wet this winter as a puppy. she kept going in. the indoors may be different though. Bark Kent Out puppy who will be six months and will be his first event. I don't think he likes the cold water and may be a problem but who knows. I hope for the better but am not worried about it either way.
AmphibiousAssaultDogTeam
AmphibiousAssaultDogTeam

Libra Horse

Back to top Go down

Post by Phoenix Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:11 pm

We will only be jumping 2 possibly 1 dog indoors. We have found with our team of dogs that they hate the indoor events as far as jumping goes. Well all accept Rajah and this will be Phoenix's first year indoors as well. Tundra shuts right down and doesn't want to jump and Moose was this way along with Torin. Annie will be having a litter of pups mid indoor season so it is hard to say what she would be like but I won't be able to find out. Rajah doesn't care where he jumps he just jumps and loves it. I hope Phoenix is that way but I am not expecting her to be. Cause GSP's tend to decide the water is too cold for them indoors. I think too it is a bit more hard on their nerves as it is MUCH MUCH louder indoors as we don't have more than a few feet inbetween teams of dogs and dogs like to park etc. Plus they then have to go outdoors when wet sometimes to do their business.

We have a coat for each dog and then lots of towls as well. Try it out and see how it goes but don't be surprised if you have to just chill til the outdoor season starts.
Phoenix
Phoenix

My Name : Beth
My Pet(s) : Phoenix,Rajah,Cody, Tucson, Rumor
Number of posts : 1001
Sagittarius Dog

http://flyinghighk9s.weebly.com/index.html

Back to top Go down

Post by crazyjackpack Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:36 pm

We have both little and a bigger dog. We found that drying them off after each jump is a must. Half the indoor season we also had to keep a heater on one dog between jumps. We are doing the same this year.

We also have these great coats for events that just slip over thier heads.

http://www.trovercoats.com/

We are lucky as so far only one dog will not jump indoors but he also tends to do that outdoors as well at times.. We are not sure about what Sticky is going to do since this is his first indoor season.
crazyjackpack
crazyjackpack

My Name : Aimee and Sarah
My Pet(s) : Forrest Gumpy (gone but not forgotten) ,, Jitter Bug,, Cpt. Jack,, Shella , Staccato (I'm not a JRT), Clay (my first jump will be in July.. we hope)
Location : Rest is peace sweat Gumpy, UAG Master Champ, Jr. Handler Champ and Featherweight champ.
Number of posts : 550
Aquarius Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by stephz Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:38 pm

In addition to the towels/coats for the dogs I would recommend bringing an extra change of clothes for you all. You get just as wet at the indoor events as you do at the outdoor events and the water is FREEZING!!! I have easily gone through 4 pairs of socks in one day at an event just trying to keep my feet warm.
stephz
stephz

My Name : Steph
My Pet(s) : Jinx
Number of posts : 679
Taurus Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by rocketdog Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:54 pm

The water in the pool is about 45-50 degrees when it's pumped in and doesn't warm up much during the event. Drying your dogs off after their jumps is important. Cover their crate to keep all their doggie heat inside. Neoprene vests aren't really needed for all dogs. We got Rocky one for his first indoor event and he doesn't need it. He jumps anytime, anywhere. But the shorter haired dogs would benefit from it. You get as wet, if not more wet and indoor events because you don't air dry at all during the event so bring towels and dry clothes for yourself. We use Chamois for Rocky to dry him off. They are nice because they really suck a lot of water out and are reuseable after you wring them out. It cuts down on having a pile of wet towels laying around that are useless after they are used. We have 2 chamois we take to events and a couple towels for the humans.
The dogs are usually VERY close together. If your dog doesn't like to be crowded by other crates and people, I would really suggest covering the crate. It helps the dogs relax and keeps the public from wanting to poke their fingers into an already irritated dog. Yes, at indoor events the general public thinks it's OK to walk right thru the dog staging area and look at your dogs. Yes, it's very annoying.
The crowd is generally very close and very large. We are the main attraction at some of these events and it's not uncommon to have 200+ people in the stands watching us. It's very cool but also very loud. It makes it hard for the dogs to hear you on the dock and hard for you to hear yourself sometimes.
You will have to go outside to potty the dogs sometimes in the snow/blizzard (there always seems to be a snow storm at one of the Novi events) and that is why you need to dry the dogs off well. Be aware that there will likely be salt on the parking lot outside the door where we go in and out so if your dog is sensitive to it - Rocky is - then maybe get some boots for them or even carry them over it - the need for human towels comes in here.
The floor around the dock can get pretty slippery. The guys try to keep it mopped up and there will be carpeting layed out but with all the dogs coming out of the pool wet it still ends up pretty wet and slick. Be carefull around the pool on the concrete floor.

That's all I can think of right now. I'm sure I'm forgetting something so someone fill in the blanks.
rocketdog
rocketdog

My Name : Jason
My Pet(s) : Rocky, Newman, and Leo
Number of posts : 897
Sagittarius Snake

http://www.teamrocketdog.net

Back to top Go down

Post by crazyjackpack Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:17 pm

With the people, we have signs made now that tells them to keep away.. Jitter does not like people near his crate. The others don't care.

I agree about the changes of clothes. I have seen Sarah change 3 times in one day.
crazyjackpack
crazyjackpack

My Name : Aimee and Sarah
My Pet(s) : Forrest Gumpy (gone but not forgotten) ,, Jitter Bug,, Cpt. Jack,, Shella , Staccato (I'm not a JRT), Clay (my first jump will be in July.. we hope)
Location : Rest is peace sweat Gumpy, UAG Master Champ, Jr. Handler Champ and Featherweight champ.
Number of posts : 550
Aquarius Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by AmphibiousAssaultDogTeam Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:55 am

Has milt thought or tried using horse trough heaters or something during the night or is it not safe or effective. I don't think they cost too much and maybe some of us could put the money in together for it?

Norm
AmphibiousAssaultDogTeam
AmphibiousAssaultDogTeam

Libra Horse

Back to top Go down

Post by Ann DHondt Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:17 am

Jumping indoors is very strange for the dogs, it is not just cold water that stops them. It is the atmosphere, echos, lighting everything is different. So don't expect your dog to jump because it does not mind cold. My dog swam OUTSIDE in January and the week before would NOT go off the dock at Novi. Teddi who is not the biggest jumper in the world but LOVES to play and jump was VERY hesitant at Novi last year. I am hoping she will be more confident this year. For her the water had nothing to do with it. All the noises are exxagerated indoors. Teddi is sound sensitive too.

I also agree with Rocketdog, vests are not needed for all dogs. The GSP's seem to like them but most of the labs could care less. I do recommend having a chamois handy so you can dry the excess water off them so they do stay warmer. I am contemplating getting a polar fleece "blanket" for my dogs. My agility trainer recommended it. Once they warm up you can put it on and it keep their muscles from cooling down all the way. In dock jumping it will just keep the dog warmer between jumps. Yes I dry my dog, but I can't get them completely dry, and polor fleece takes moisture away from the body. Not sure my dog will wear them but we will find out!

So my best advice is go to indoor events with an open mind. If your dog truly doesn't care about stuff they will jump just fine. If your dog is backed off don't "force" the situation. Just do it for fun, or just wait for out door season. It always comes again.
Ann DHondt
Ann DHondt

My Name : Ann
My Pet(s) : Belle, Teddi, Quinn, Gabby and always in my heart Maxine
Number of posts : 301
Cancer Rat

Back to top Go down

Post by bethandryder Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:21 pm

Where a coat. Gloves are nice.
bethandryder
bethandryder

My Name : Beth
My Pet(s) : Ryder and Hershey, ESS
Number of posts : 303
Cancer Rat

Back to top Go down

Post by flyinlab Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:31 am

I agree, Drying your dog is a must. Got to be careful of cold tail. It could be very painful for your dog. Sophie got it once last year and I felt bad for her. She couldn't even sit for 1 1/2 days. It is essentially a sprain in the tail, were the tail is straight for about 2 inches then it is just limp. It is very important that you not only dry their backs and chest but really concentrate on their hind end where the tail meets. and of course keep them as warm as possible. we have a fleece blanket to wrap around Sophie in between jumps and this year we will be taking a small space heater with us for the crate. Hopefully, we will not trip and circuits. Don't forget a cover for your crate as mentioned above. People like to come up to the crates and touch the dogs and if they are covered people tend not to touch. Not to mention gives the dogs a place to chill out and get away from the crowds. Good Luck! jumping indoors. it is an experience with the crowds and how load it can get. but IT IS A TON OF FUN!!!!
flyinlab
flyinlab

My Name : Steve
My Pet(s) : USJCH - Sophie Belle (pb 21'10") Harley Joe (Cheering section) Baylee Rose
Number of posts : 464
Leo Dragon

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sophie-Belle-Team-Flyinlab/1419864

Back to top Go down

Post by TEAM GOLDEN GIRLS Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:54 pm

Well I have listened to all the advice here and it just made me sure that even though I am going to miss this until spring, I think it is in their best interest to wait until outdoor season starts again.
Indoor Season 171366
But I guess it doesn't even matter since Novi filled already that makes my decision easy.

One more event in Columbus and then we are done until spring.
Thanks,
Barb
TEAM GOLDEN GIRLS
TEAM GOLDEN GIRLS

My Name : Barb
My Pet(s) : Roxxy, Belle
Number of posts : 107
Pisces Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content