ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Welcome to the ULTIMATE AIR DOGS Message Board!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Welcome to the ULTIMATE AIR DOGS Message Board!
ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Weightpull for beginners,Any interest??

+7
crazyjackpack
Labwake
Rowdymuttz
rocketdog
Kel
LoriL
Team LUV-A-Bulls
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Weightpull for beginners,Any interest?? Empty Weightpull for beginners,Any interest??

Post by Team LUV-A-Bulls Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:48 pm

I am thinking about doing a beginner basics class for weightpull out at pats place and want to know how many would be interested. I am thinking like a 8wk class, of course it would be worked around UAD events. and a saturday evening would be my first choice. I am actually gonna do my first snow pull in february. It is actuallylisted under this section, it would be a good ideal to watch an event.
So pm me if you would be interestedin a class. Thanks!
Team LUV-A-Bulls
Team LUV-A-Bulls

My Name : Heather
My Pet(s) : Splash,Digger,Bazooka Joe and PorkChop
Number of posts : 674
Pisces Pig

http://www.teamluvabulls.com

Back to top Go down

Weightpull for beginners,Any interest?? Empty Re: Weightpull for beginners,Any interest??

Post by LoriL Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:28 pm

What state are you in?

LoriL

My Name : Lori
Number of posts : 387
Aries Cat

Back to top Go down

Weightpull for beginners,Any interest?? Empty Re: Weightpull for beginners,Any interest??

Post by Team LUV-A-Bulls Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:30 am

Michigan.
Team LUV-A-Bulls
Team LUV-A-Bulls

Pisces Pig

Back to top Go down

Post by Kel Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:10 pm

Good luck at the snow pull, Heather! Let us know how it goes. Sweet!
Kel
Kel

My Name : "The Girl with the GSDs"
My Pet(s) : Aro, Scot, Jack Tar, Baako & Kon
Number of posts : 1673
Gemini

http://www.frozenfirek9s.com/Joomla/

Back to top Go down

Post by rocketdog Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:20 pm

Speaking of beginners, check these dogs out.

Weightpull for beginners,Any interest?? Brewst10

Weightpull for beginners,Any interest?? Diva_p10

Weightpull for beginners,Any interest?? Falon_10

Weightpull for beginners,Any interest?? Splash10

Weightpull for beginners,Any interest?? Splash11

Weightpull for beginners,Any interest?? Leo_pu10
rocketdog
rocketdog

My Name : Jason
My Pet(s) : Rocky, Newman, and Leo
Number of posts : 897
Sagittarius Snake

http://www.teamrocketdog.net

Back to top Go down

Weightpull for beginners,Any interest?? Empty weight pull

Post by Rowdymuttz Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:54 pm

I would be very interested and Saturday nights would be great. I would also settle for Sunday's. I think that would be awesome.
Keep me posted
Jerri
Rowdymuttz
Rowdymuttz

My Name : Jerri
My Pet(s) : Daisy, Jersey and Audrey
Number of posts : 22
Pisces Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Labwake Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:17 pm

I wouldn't be able to come until March....but by then Saturdays would be fine.
Labwake
Labwake

My Name : Annie
My Pet(s) : Connor, Elsie
Number of posts : 491
Leo Horse

http://sarcasmandsleddogs.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by crazyjackpack Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:33 am

I wish we lived closer. Jitter Bug and Shella both had a great time trying this out. I pulled the harness out of the bag last night and Jitter started his "buggy dance" that he only does when he is happy about doing something.
crazyjackpack
crazyjackpack

My Name : Aimee and Sarah
My Pet(s) : Forrest Gumpy (gone but not forgotten) ,, Jitter Bug,, Cpt. Jack,, Shella , Staccato (I'm not a JRT), Clay (my first jump will be in July.. we hope)
Location : Rest is peace sweat Gumpy, UAG Master Champ, Jr. Handler Champ and Featherweight champ.
Number of posts : 550
Aquarius Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Kel Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:09 am

Lol... the kid laying on the cart with Leo pulling looks pretty comfortable.

Nice pics. Glad to see so many other UADers giving their dogs some versatility in sports! Sweet! It looks like everyone who tried it did well and enjoyed themselves.
Kel
Kel

Gemini

Back to top Go down

Post by rocketdog Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:57 am

Yeah, she was chilling out with Leo pulling. Leo decided he pulls best for pizza. I had some treats and he wasn't trying very hard, then I showed him a piece of pizza and he started RUNNING towards me. He is such a food hound...
rocketdog
rocketdog

Sagittarius Snake

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary and Brewster Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:30 pm

[quote]Lol... the kid laying on the cart with Leo pulling looks pretty comfortable.

Hi Kel,
I can't tell for sure but that looks like our granddaughter Elizabeth on the cart. She had so much fun riding the cart while the pups were pulling. She loves to come to the jumps to see her adopted litter mate jump into the water! I have to laugh, Liz was born in May, Brew was born in Nov and we have a cat we adopted that was born in Jan. All three grew up together and it's like they formed their own little pack! It's too funny to watch them all interact togeather. A little scary too! You never know what they are all plotting together! I think Liz in a junior handler in the making! Kel you are so right too about the pups enjoying themselves. Brew really seemed to enjoy pulling. I thought he might really balk at pulling the cart but he didn't seem to mind it much at all. We are thinking of getting a harness and cart and keeping up with pulling. I don't know if we'll ever compete in weight pulling but even pulling a cart around the yard would help strenghthen Brew for dock jumping. Thanks too Kel for posting the web sites for harnesses ect.... We're looking into getting a harness. Have a great day,

Mary and Brewster
Mary and Brewster

My Name : Mary
My Pet(s) : Brewster and Riley
Number of posts : 427
Virgo Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by telsmith1 Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:48 pm

We would be interested in doing a class with Diva.

telsmith1

My Name : Rebecca
My Pet(s) : Diva
Number of posts : 10
Virgo Buffalo

http://www.goldensunriseretrievers.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:01 pm

I'm probably reiterating here, but please use the siwash style harnesses (like the ones in the above pics) rather than the old cross chest type. As long as it fits properly (make sure the three parts of the "Y" meet over the dogs clavicle- too high and your dog chokes, too low the harness cuts into the shoulder), the siwash is much more comfortable and safe for the dog.
For those living in SE Michigan, K9 Specialties in Warren (586-939-5960) sells Beth Edge's basic carting and sledding harnesses in a few colors and sizes. Bring in your dog and talk with the owner, Claude, for help with a proper fit.
There are all kinds of creative (and relatively cheap) ways to see if your dog would like pulling with or without shafts. You can PM Kel or me (her mom, for those who don't know) for some suggestions.
Angela
Angela

Number of posts : 273

Back to top Go down

Post by rocketdog Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:34 pm

I think I want to get Leo into carting as well. That way he can help haul in all the stuff he and Rocky need at an event. Plus it will give him a job and hopefully focus the little ADD monster. I think this summer I may build a cart to use with him and see if he digs it or not.

We got out harness from K9 Specialties. Claude was sorta helpfull (I think we caught him on an off day) and the price wasn't bad at all. We were able to try out a couple different sizes on Rocky in the store and that made it much easier to get the right size for him.
rocketdog
rocketdog

Sagittarius Snake

Back to top Go down

Post by Team LUV-A-Bulls Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:43 pm

Well I am looking at late february or we can do beginning of march so post what is better for you. I am trying to get hand outs made up right now so you go home with info every week. I also think Saturday evenings would be better for me so also post that to. Then I will get back to everyone I am really excited about this.
Team LUV-A-Bulls
Team LUV-A-Bulls

Pisces Pig

Back to top Go down

Post by Labwake Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:08 pm

This would be a lot of fun if it all works out. Thanks for the offer/opportunity!! Ultimate Air Elation

My schedule:
I race every weekend through Feb 15.

Feb 21-22= race weekend....though it's a backup date, so it's possible that I'll be free, but doubtful. More than likely I WILL be racing.

Fed 28-March 1 Is an OPEN weekend for me. Totally free. WP would be a perfect way to spend my Saturday!

March 7-8 = race weekend.....if we still have snow.
Labwake
Labwake

Leo Horse

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary and Brewster Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:30 pm

For anyone interested Denny, Brew and I went to K-9 today at 13 1/2 and Mound Road in Warren and they have quite a few light weight carting/pulling harnesses. They looked like they mostly had large and extra large in quite a selection of colors. It looks like Brew wears a size large. We are waiting to get one because of all things Brew cropped up with a lump on his back leg (like we need another thing to worry about!!!!!), We took him to the vet today and the vet feels that it is a cyst. He asperated it and is sending the contents off to the lab just to make sure there are no cancer cells in it. The vet feels it is just a simple cyst and there is no cancer but he wanted to make sure (and I agree with him!). We will find out next Tuesday what the lab says but there is still a possibility that the vet may have to remove the cyst. I figured there is no sense spending money on a harness until we know for sure if Brew will need the surgery or not. The good thing is (I think) it was bigger on Wednesday when we found it. By today you really had to feel for it to find it. Thankfully it doesn't seem to bother Brew either and he was an outstanding pup for the vet today. And life goes on....... Have a great day everyone!
Mary and Brewster
Mary and Brewster

Virgo Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Kel Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:02 am

The carting harnesses are made by Beth Edge... so, if anyone who checks there can't find one that fits well, you can order one directly from her. Her contact info is earlier in the thread.

The main thing to consider and have right is that the center point of the Y on the front of the harness should fall directly over the dog's breast bone. Too high and you will choke them, too low and it interferes with their movement and stride. If my mom happens to be making a trip there the same time as others, I'm sure she wouldn't mind helping with sizes either.

Hope all is well with the Brewster. Sweet!
Kel
Kel

Gemini

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:20 pm

No, I don't mind. I'm usually there twice a month or so. Just PM me and we could coordinate our schedules. As a matter of fact, I need to go next week.
Angela
Angela

Number of posts : 273

Back to top Go down

Post by Team LUV-A-Bulls Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:18 am

I can start a Saturday evening class in February if anyone is interested or we can wait till March 7th. I know we would have to skip the weekend of Novi, so let me know we could start the 3rd weekend than skip a week or just wait till the second weekend in March. let me know what s best for you all.
Team LUV-A-Bulls
Team LUV-A-Bulls

Pisces Pig

Back to top Go down

Post by Labwake Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:37 pm

I've already posted my schedule, but I'd vote to start in March. Not sure if I'm even going to Novi (those darn indoor jumps!) but it seems like March would be the easiest.
Labwake
Labwake

Leo Horse

Back to top Go down

Post by Team LUV-A-Bulls Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:41 pm

March 7th at 6:30 does that work for everyone it seems to work best a few.
and it works for me, its giving me time to work on handouts and things.
Team LUV-A-Bulls
Team LUV-A-Bulls

Pisces Pig

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary and Brewster Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:23 pm

Hi Heather,
That sounds good to us. I was going to write tonight that either date is fine with us but March 7th is great. That will also give me time to get the harness for Brew. Do you have a suggestion for what kind of sled to get and where to get one at? I'm sure that we will need something for Brew to pratice pulling! Also Heather do you have an idea of the price for the class? Thanks so much. I'm really looking forward to learning how to work with Brew on pulling. Have a great day,
Mary and Brewster
Mary and Brewster

Virgo Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Labwake Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:15 am

I think that will work. I'll let you know if I can't make it. Even if I can't make the first one, I'll try to hit has many as I can. It's okay that I'm planning to bring somewhere upwards of 6 dogs, right?
Labwake
Labwake

Leo Horse

Back to top Go down

Post by Team LUV-A-Bulls Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:53 pm

Um ya just have some crates to keepthem in when working with the other ones. If you cant make the first one I will send you the first week notes.
Team LUV-A-Bulls
Team LUV-A-Bulls

Pisces Pig

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next