ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Welcome to the ULTIMATE AIR DOGS Message Board!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Welcome to the ULTIMATE AIR DOGS Message Board!
ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kind of dog shown on Purina finals Saturday evening, March 22

5 posters

Go down

Kind of dog shown on Purina finals Saturday evening, March 22 Empty Kind of dog shown on Purina finals Saturday evening, March 22

Post by Ali-Cat Florida Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:36 pm

Hi folks - my husband and I were amazed and intrigued to see the two Purina shows (semi-finals and finals from 2007) this past Saturday. Does anyone happen to know the breed of dog in the water jump challenge that looks like a furry German Shepherd? The breed has two names, and that's all I remember! So much for watching TV when you are tired. We are looking for a dog, and we both loved the look of that dog. If you saw the show and happen to know, I'd appreciate it. The dog looked like it was dark brown and black, but unfortunately I don't remember his name. Thanks! Ali

Ali-Cat Florida

Number of posts : 1
Taurus Pig

Back to top Go down

Kind of dog shown on Purina finals Saturday evening, March 22 Empty Re: Kind of dog shown on Purina finals Saturday evening, March 22

Post by Team Irish Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:58 pm

Perhaps a Belgian Malinois http://www.akc.org/breeds/belgian_malinois/index.cfm

or a Belgian Tervuren http://flyballdogs.com/photos/cisco.gif
Team Irish
Team Irish

My Name : Jillian
My Pet(s) : Bailey (YL), Reese (CL mix)
Number of posts : 457
Pisces Dog

Back to top Go down

Kind of dog shown on Purina finals Saturday evening, March 22 Empty Re: Kind of dog shown on Purina finals Saturday evening, March 22

Post by rockysmom Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:43 pm

I didn't watch the show, but if the dog's name was Pico (from somplace in NY state) - she is a Belgian Tervuren.
rockysmom
rockysmom

My Name : Kristy
My Pet(s) : Rocky and Leo my sweet Newman - you will always be loved
Location : nowhere near 'rocketdog' - I am not responsible for him :)
Number of posts : 221
Scorpio Snake

http://www.teamrocketdog.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Kel Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:17 pm

In all likelihood, it was Pico and, as others have stated, a Tervuren.

There are coated German Shepherd Dogs out there though... along with other breeds with similar looks that come coated (without it being a disqualifying conformation fault as it is in GSDs). The Shiloh Shepherd and the King Shepherd are two of them (both breeds were created from the GSD). If you're looking for more of your average "pet" personality, I would recommend the Shiloh or King, rather than one of the Belgian varieties or a GSD.

The Belgian Shepherds (all four varieties) are of no relation to the GSD, however.

If you are interested in any of those breeds, I highly recommend doing a LOT of research about them. They are all very high drive, high energy dogs and will not be happy without a job and near constant activity. Grooming is also much higher maintainence than one would normally think. GSDs shed year-round, with a couple more heavier shedding seasons thrown in on top of that, for example.

It would be a good idea to look up Anna Balsamo (she is on the DDs forums) and talk with her about Pico and Tervs in general.

There are a lot of breeders out there who will sell you a pup without making sure they really know you and what you are looking for in a dog, especially in some of the above breeds... so be sure to seek out a breeder with a proven history, who asks lots of questions, even requiring follow up and references.

Now, I may be telling you things you already know... and, if so, I apologize for being repetitive. Just kidding! Still, I'm not sure what you're looking for in a pup or what your dog and training background is... So, unless I am just "preaching to the choir," I hope the above helps. Ultimate Air Elation
Kel
Kel

My Name : "The Girl with the GSDs"
My Pet(s) : Aro, Scot, Jack Tar, Baako & Kon
Number of posts : 1673
Gemini

http://www.frozenfirek9s.com/Joomla/

Back to top Go down

Post by jtallen Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:52 pm

I used to show a Belgian Tervuren back in the 80's, and they are a VERY smart dog, too smart for their own good sometimes.
They are always looking for something they can get into.

One we had got on the waterbed and played around watching the waves go back and fourth, which we thought was cute, well later when we came back into the room she had chewed a hole in the bed and was playing in the water!!!

They are great dogs if you can keep them occupied doing something constructive. Wonderful obedience dogs, I bet good at agility, and as Pico proves, good at dock jumping.

Jim
jtallen
jtallen

My Pet(s) : Rogan, Molly, Maggie, Moose, Cracker
Number of posts : 1343
Leo Cat

http://www.teamsecondchance.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Team Irish Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:07 am

Here's Pico's website http://pico.redtaildesign.com/.Anna Balasamo is her owner and I am sure she'd be willing to answer any questions you have. I can't remember if Pico appeared in Purina in 2007. I just emailed Anna to find out. I'll let you know for sure.
Team Irish
Team Irish

Pisces Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Team Irish Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:40 pm

It was indeed the beautiful Pico.

Ali-I am going to PM you with Anna's email. She said she would love to talk with you.
Team Irish
Team Irish

Pisces Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down