ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Welcome to the ULTIMATE AIR DOGS Message Board!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Welcome to the ULTIMATE AIR DOGS Message Board!
ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Well...greetings from a glacier! (with pics)

+10
Angela
Mary and Brewster
Intellabs
MaraLee
bectayjam
jedivet
jtallen
Kel
flyinlab
Labwake
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Well...greetings from a glacier! (with pics) Empty Well...greetings from a glacier! (with pics)

Post by Labwake Fri May 22, 2009 4:21 pm

I just wanted to drop in for a second to update everyone. First of all, the board has some nifty new sections! Haha I guess this is the perfect section for my update Ultimate Air Elation This is only the second time I've had interenet since April 30, so I'm wayyyy behind on all the fun board info and event happenings, but I'm trying to catch up! Looks like everyone is having a great summer so far. I'm really itching to start at the top and read through each section to see what I've been missing out on Hot Dawg Connor and Elsie are back in MI, probaby getting fat Oops! and being boring house dogs. I miss those mutts like crazy!!! Connor would love it up here. Ah well. It's been awesome up here! I have tons of pictures, but I came to this little cafe to get online and I forgot my camera cord back at the appt Dang Nab It!. I still have one more day off though, so hopefully I'll be able to add a few pics of my new team. Everything is crazy busy up here. We're feeding dogs by 630 am, human breakfast at 730am, "go time" at 830am, first tour at 9am. Four tours before lunch (aroun 2pm) and then "afternoon go time" at 245pm. Four tours (the last at 6pm), then dog dinner and human dinner at about 7 or 730. Back in our tents by 830 or 9pm and asleep by 1030 or so (unless you draw a night chore...like dishes...which I hate haha). By the way, I don't have spell check right now on here, so bare with me! Haha but anyway, I have today and tomorrow off. I fly (via helicopter) back up on Sunday for another 6-8 days working before I get my next 2 days off- that's how it'll be all summer. It's a good time though. The sun is stronger up here than it is in Florida; you guys should see the awkward, massive tan line I have from my sunglasses. Snickering All in all though, it's a really good time so far. On May 30th, I will have been up here for a month.....3 more to go! I hope everyone is enjoying their summer!! A Round of Applause!

Last edited by Labwake on Sat May 23, 2009 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Labwake
Labwake

My Name : Annie
My Pet(s) : Connor, Elsie
Number of posts : 491
Leo Horse

http://sarcasmandsleddogs.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Well...greetings from a glacier! (with pics) Empty Re: Well...greetings from a glacier! (with pics)

Post by Labwake Sat May 23, 2009 5:41 pm

Here are a few pictures. I have a ton more, and if anyone is interested, just check them out on facebook. I'll have quite a few albums by the end of the summer. Enjoy!

We had two trucks this big. We hauled 210 dogs 800 miles.

Well...greetings from a glacier! (with pics) DogDrop015

Teekona- one of my little females

Well...greetings from a glacier! (with pics) DogDrop165

Running towards Mt Guardian

Well...greetings from a glacier! (with pics) 4687_641950194693_19228315_38710243
Labwake
Labwake

Leo Horse

Back to top Go down

Well...greetings from a glacier! (with pics) Empty Re: Well...greetings from a glacier! (with pics)

Post by flyinlab Sat May 23, 2009 6:38 pm

nice pics Ultimate Air Elation
flyinlab
flyinlab

My Name : Steve
My Pet(s) : USJCH - Sophie Belle (pb 21'10") Harley Joe (Cheering section) Baylee Rose
Number of posts : 464
Leo Dragon

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sophie-Belle-Team-Flyinlab/1419864

Back to top Go down

Post by Kel Sat May 23, 2009 9:54 pm

That's awesome Annie! I am very jealous... lol. Just kidding!

What is your facebook link? I'd love to see the rest of the pics. Sweet!
Kel
Kel

My Name : "The Girl with the GSDs"
My Pet(s) : Aro, Scot, Jack Tar, Baako & Kon
Number of posts : 1673
Gemini

http://www.frozenfirek9s.com/Joomla/

Back to top Go down

Post by jtallen Sat May 23, 2009 10:09 pm

Totally awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!
What a way to spend to spend the summer
jtallen
jtallen

My Pet(s) : Rogan, Molly, Maggie, Moose, Cracker
Number of posts : 1343
Leo Cat

http://www.teamsecondchance.net

Back to top Go down

Post by jedivet Tue May 26, 2009 9:50 pm

That's awesome! Color me as jealous as Kel!

I have tons of pics from the race I vetted his summer, but I don't know how to post them here. Image code, I'm guessing? Yup. Image code. Looks like most aren't in my photobucket so these guys will have to do. Glad you are getting to do this, wake!

Well...greetings from a glacier! (with pics) Fa981a99
jedivet
jedivet

Number of posts : 155
Aries Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by bectayjam Thu May 28, 2009 4:34 pm

Great pictures.
bectayjam
bectayjam

My Name : Rebecca
My Pet(s) : Rocky's Big Creek, Lady Adrian , Sable (non jumper)
Number of posts : 281
Capricorn Monkey

http://www.sirrockybigcreek.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MaraLee Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:00 pm

Congratulations, Annie! I'm looking forward to more pictures in the future.

MaraLee
MaraLee
MaraLee
Webmistress

My Name : MaraLee
My Pet(s) : Lucy and Waffles, the Labs... Gus and Rufus, the Guinea Pigs
Sponsors : Bill and Lynnie!
Number of posts : 801
Gemini Snake

http://www.ultimateairdogs.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Labwake Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:24 pm

Maralee, these are JUST FOR YOU!! Are you ready? GLACIER BABIES!!! They were shipped off last Thursday so these pics are from their last night with us. Enjoy, everyone!
(PS- these are Lance Mackey pups....so maybe one day they'll be Idit/Quest champs Ultimate Air Elation Look for their names in distance races in the future!)

From the left: Chopper, A*Star, Rotor (get it?....it's a helicopter theme Ultimate Air Elation and we, the staff, got to name them)
Well...greetings from a glacier! (with pics) 3glacierbabies

Here's Rotor! Haha he was trying to sneak out!
Well...greetings from a glacier! (with pics) Babyrotor

Lovin' the babies!
Well...greetings from a glacier! (with pics) Glacierbabies

And THIS is the "puppy pit." We had to re-dig it nearly every day because the edges would melt down. That's one of the reason they had to be flown down; they kept getting out and we were afraid they'd get in the kennel.
Well...greetings from a glacier! (with pics) Puppypit
Labwake
Labwake

Leo Horse

Back to top Go down

Post by jtallen Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:33 pm

Annie
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They are adorable. I will take them ALL!!!
You are living a dream!!
I hate heat, and would love to do what you are doing,
But I don't think the Goldens would make good mushers :-(
jtallen
jtallen

My Pet(s) : Rogan, Molly, Maggie, Moose, Cracker
Number of posts : 1343
Leo Cat

http://www.teamsecondchance.net

Back to top Go down

Post by jedivet Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:09 pm

*dies from the green of envy*

So happy for you, 'wake!
jedivet
jedivet

Aries Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Kel Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:05 pm

Too cute! Your mom showed me the other pics at Premier... I am still very, VERY jealous!
Kel
Kel

Gemini

Back to top Go down

Post by Labwake Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:39 pm

Thanks guys, I'm really enjoying my time up here!
Jim, I'd be glad to whip the Goldens into shape and make them a matching team for you Just kidding!
And Kel, my mom said she talked to you at Premier. I was going nuts that whole weekend- I was up on the ice trying to imagine EZ Ups, equipment dealers and the sound of dogs hitting the water. I told her bottle up some pool water and pour it on Connor for me Snickering . From all the pictures of Premier that were posted though, it looks like everyone had a blast.
I've had more than one guest that has been curious about Ultimate Air.....and one of them was a Tiger's fan....so he vowed to stop by an event Ultimate Air Elation
I have tons more pictures from up here of "my" team and stuff if you guys are interested. I go back up today (which has turned into "tonight"), but I'll try to add a few every time I'm down. Anyway, thanks for looking! I love to share all of these pictures and stories.
Labwake
Labwake

Leo Horse

Back to top Go down

Post by Intellabs Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:10 pm

Annie,

Those are awesome pictures, I love the scenery in the first two. As soon as I saw them them it cooled me off too!! Thanks for that!! It's been hot here in lower michigan.

What everyone's been saying to you, it's obvious you are having the time of your life and I am envious as well!!

Those are the cutest pups I have seen in a long time, I am sure they will be great dogsledders.

Roger
Intellabs
Intellabs

My Name : Roger
My Pet(s) : Katie, Koko, Oberon, Kota, Sugar, Knitrous and Hershey
Number of posts : 709
Cancer Goat

Back to top Go down

Post by Kel Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:10 pm

Labwake wrote:I told her bottle up some pool water and pour it on Connor for me Snickering.
LOL. Too funny.

Labwake wrote:I have tons more pictures from up here of "my" team and stuff if you guys are interested.
Of course. Ultimate Air Elation Just kidding! I always like seeing lots of snow and sled puppies! Heh.
Kel
Kel

Gemini

Back to top Go down

Post by Labwake Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:53 am

Here are a few more for those of you (ahem, Kel!) Snickering who don't have me on facebook......

A big smile from Gadget
Well...greetings from a glacier! (with pics) DogDrop128

Cute little Doty
Well...greetings from a glacier! (with pics) DogDrop136

Cheyanne and Marla just passing the time
Well...greetings from a glacier! (with pics) MoreAK040

Noppers (weird name, I know!) was yawning Snickering
Well...greetings from a glacier! (with pics) Alaska2056

Swimming amongst the ice chunk of the Mendenhall Glacier. I mean, c'mon...I'm from Michigan- I MUST SWIM!
Well...greetings from a glacier! (with pics) Mendenhall042

12-Gauge hates the rain....but maybe he'll think twice about eating his doghouse next time. Haha poor boy. He looked so pitiful that I couldn't resist this picture. He was just begging me to bring him in my tent....always the teddy bear.
Well...greetings from a glacier! (with pics) MoreAK018

Charlie and his goofy ears
Well...greetings from a glacier! (with pics) MoreAK034

This is Denali. I run him in this harness for a few reasons, and I really like this type. I'd recommend this style.
Well...greetings from a glacier! (with pics) MoreAK048

Who wants the story on this one?
Well...greetings from a glacier! (with pics) MoreAK066

Well...greetings from a glacier! (with pics) MoreAK067

Alright, hope you guys like those Ultimate Air Elation (by the way, this is day 2 of being weathered in down here in Juneau.....here's to it clearing up so that we can get up to the ice tomorrow and relieve the "stranded" crew- they'll definitely be ready for a break!)
Labwake
Labwake

Leo Horse

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary and Brewster Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:50 am

Hi Annie, Fantastic pictures! Thanks so much for posting them so those of us who will probably never get to Alaska can see what it looks like and dream of going there! The dogs are just way too cute! I must say you are very brave to swim between the glaciers! The water had to be freezing cold! You remind me of my 25 year old son who swam in my Uncles cistern in PA in cold mountain spring water! You posted the last two pictures. Of course we want the story on what is going on! Give the pups a hug for me and keep sending the pictures. They are fantastic. Have a great day,
Mary and Brewster
Mary and Brewster

My Name : Mary
My Pet(s) : Brewster and Riley
Number of posts : 427
Virgo Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:16 am

Well about those last photos, since the the area around the dogs looks pretty clean...

What is the pole for- mixing in good microbes that eat the, um, you know what?

And about that harness... what is the style called? I'm assuming you like the fact that there is no pull down on the dogs' back end as there can be with the traditional style. Does the strap crossing the dog's chest and the front of the shoulder seem to rub or restrict the full shoulder movement at all? I guess that is the main reason I prefer the siwash. There is a newer version of the siwash I'd like to try that puts the pull mostly on the dog's side- cannot remember who makes it right now. Have you tried it?

I miss being around a crazy husky. Someone once described them as lovable scoundrels. When they're not keeping you on your toes, I'll bet they keep you in stitches! Please do keep the pictures and stories coming!
Angela
Angela

Number of posts : 273

Back to top Go down

Post by Labwake Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:54 pm

Hahaha okay, those last two pictures are of me "pounding poo" in all my glory. We keep the yards clean throughout the day by scooping the poop into buckets. We aim to be very low impact, so everything has to be flown off. Welllll, after it's collected in buckets, one must drive poop down to the "sling sight" and dump buckets at a time into the funnel to make it go into the barrels. If the funnel is too full, you have to literally pound the poo with the pole to smash it into the barrel. The object is to get all the poo in the barrel so that it can be flown off. And you should see how fun it is when we're doing it with HUMAN waste. Golly Gee! (true story)
And Angela, yes, I prefer that harness because of how it pulls. That certain dog crabs horribly at slow speeds. Of course crabbing doesn't really DO anything to him, but in a regular harness, the pull is so awkward that I can't stand watching him work. I've been putting him in one of thsoe so that he can once again get a proper angle. There's another dog who I run in one of those because he has such a long back. I have wondered about the front strap hindering leg movement, but I think that harness might be a size too big anyway....so the chest should probably fit a little tighter. I wouldn't suggest it for any reallllly heavy pulling (like for slooooow runs) seeing as how the dog can't bend forward as well as with a normal harness, but in a team situation, where the dog isn't hunkered down the whole time, it allows the dog a free range of movement.
And I would think this type would be especially good in a city environment. It's versatile and you can still pretty much keep control of the dog's head/upper body.
Labwake
Labwake

Leo Horse

Back to top Go down

Post by jedivet Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:39 pm

Thank you so much for sharing! I'm really enjoying living your journey vicariously!
jedivet
jedivet

Aries Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Kel Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:21 am

Very cool pics. Sweet!

Poor 12 Gauge... I agree, he looks so pitiful! That's a whole lot of dog house to eat... Na Na
Kel
Kel

Gemini

Back to top Go down

Post by bethandryder Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:47 pm

That's so cool!

Beth
bethandryder
bethandryder

My Name : Beth
My Pet(s) : Ryder and Hershey, ESS
Number of posts : 303
Cancer Rat

Back to top Go down

Post by Laszlo's Botond Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:58 am

Wow annie Just found the thread looks like you are having an awesome summer...Like Jedivet i am very envious. Congrats

Thom
Laszlo's Botond
Laszlo's Botond

My Name : Thom Hadfield
My Pet(s) : Bo
Number of posts : 851
Aquarius Rat

http://teamreddog.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Labwake Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:09 pm

Here are a few new pictures!

View of camp at night and day

Well...greetings from a glacier! (with pics) W7

Well...greetings from a glacier! (with pics) Camp2

Leaving the chute with one of my teams (I had 9 dogs).

Well...greetings from a glacier! (with pics) P8

Little Doty wondering where the top of her dog house has gone......(it was camp move day and I hadn't put them all back together yet!)

Well...greetings from a glacier! (with pics) Dottydoodle

This is Wofly.....Mr. Favorite

Well...greetings from a glacier! (with pics) MoreAK044

THIS is the boat I've been driving all summer. It's pretty much the Crown Victoria of dog sleds. Seriously...the biggest sled in the world, I swear.

Well...greetings from a glacier! (with pics) Theteam105
Labwake
Labwake

Leo Horse

Back to top Go down

Post by TR75 Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:37 pm

The first one looks like a postcard shot.
TR75
TR75

My Name : Matt
My Pet(s) : Jake & Gunther
Sponsors : Nylabone
Number of posts : 1345
Gemini Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next