ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Welcome to the ULTIMATE AIR DOGS Message Board!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Welcome to the ULTIMATE AIR DOGS Message Board!
ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Super Retriever Series

+7
labpaw
MaraLee
Sevenz
TR75
ChocolateDawg
CoffeeDogs
team sky
11 posters

Go down

Super Retriever Series Empty Super Retriever Series

Post by team sky Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:05 am

Has anyone ever had experience jumping in the Super Retriever Series? I have thought about taking Sky to an event she has been real consistant the past few events we have been at Jumping Over 22 feet, any ideas how we would stack up? I know Rob and Seven went and won with a 24 something and that is not out of Skys reach as she went 23'7" in Cinci and 24 something in Demos in Grand Rapids. I know Milt and Brian Used to compete in these events to. Any ideas, from those of you that have seen and know about Sky. I believe there is a event in KY that would be the only one we would probably be able to attend.

But I guess as I stated before:
1. Does anyone know how "big" the normal super retriever series jump is?
I know they boast a video of 23'01 as being their world record from two years ago.
2. Any idea what the entry fees are?
3. And for anyone that knows Sky do you believ she could ligitamatley? compete with the dogs they normaly have?

Anyones knowledge of the event would be appreciated!!!
team sky
team sky

My Name : Brian Butler
My Pet(s) : Sky
Number of posts : 709
Pisces Dragon

Back to top Go down

Super Retriever Series Empty Re: Super Retriever Series

Post by CoffeeDogs Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:29 am

The only thing I can say is give it a try! What do you have to lose? It will be another event where you and your dog are having fun. I know the people that run the dock jumping events are a great group of people.

The world record jump for SRS is over 27'. It is held by Jag Lab. He jumped this 2 years ago.

CoffeeDogs

My Name : Laura
My Pet(s) : Mocha & Kona
Number of posts : 126
Taurus Snake

http://www.teamcoffeedogs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ChocolateDawg Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:22 pm

We jumped Sally in an SRS event last month. From what we could tell, it was a well-run event. If the weather hadn't have been so crappy (cold, cold, cold, windy and raining, MISERABLE!), it would have been a lot of fun. The people running it and attending it were super nice and helpful.

The dogs were jumping about like other events.....anywhere from 12 - around 23 feet. But I bet they would have jumped better if the weather had not been such a factor! badmood I definitely want to do another SRS event.
ChocolateDawg
ChocolateDawg

My Name : Nancy Akin
My Pet(s) : Sally and Spud
Number of posts : 145
Virgo Dragon

http://teamfireandice.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TR75 Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:24 pm

The entry fees for Sky would be over $100 I think because she would not be considered an amateur. That information is on their website though.

We jumped with Jag Lab at the UAD event outside of Nashville last year. He is one cool dog.

Colby (Cheese Dogs) has jumped SV at SRS and probably Air as well. I think Wrigley did it last year as an amateur but he won't be that anymore. Ultimate Air Elation
TR75
TR75

My Name : Matt
My Pet(s) : Jake & Gunther
Sponsors : Nylabone
Number of posts : 1345
Gemini Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenz Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:25 pm

Go for it!!! This March was our first experience with the Super Retriever Series and we had a great time but if you ask Seven I don't know if he would agree.

For those of you that don't know him he is not much of a "hunting" dog, he is more "city boy". The event took place right next to the retriever trial, gun shots and all Scream!!! . Seven is very gun shy and was very much thrown off his game. Yes, his jumps were very pedestrian for him but we were very proud that he was able to pull him self together enough to win and qualify for the Crown Championship this May.

From what I have read about Sky, on this board , she would love the retriever trial atmosphere. My recomendation is to go for it and see what happens. Don't get caught up with wondering if you think Sky can compete or not. Go and enjoy the time jumping Sky, meeting new people, and visiting new places. That is what this wonderful sport is all about...
Sevenz
Sevenz

My Name : Kim & Rob
My Pet(s) : Seven & Hanz
Number of posts : 155
Gemini Horse

http://www.freewebs.com/jumpngspseven

Back to top Go down

Post by MaraLee Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:29 pm

Here's a link to their web-site:
http://www.superretrieverseries.com/

We would take Waffles there, if she were jumping like Sky.

MaraLee
MaraLee
MaraLee
Webmistress

My Name : MaraLee
My Pet(s) : Lucy and Waffles, the Labs... Gus and Rufus, the Guinea Pigs
Sponsors : Bill and Lynnie!
Number of posts : 801
Gemini Snake

http://www.ultimateairdogs.net

Back to top Go down

Post by labpaw Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:23 pm

Sevenz wrote:Don't get caught up with wondering if you think Sky can compete or not. Go and enjoy the time jumping Sky, meeting new people, and visiting new places. That is what this wonderful sport is all about...

Couldn't agree more. I would never chose an event based on whether or not I thought Colby/Pooh/Abraham could win or not. Oops! Go and have fun, and if she wins, great, good for her. Just kidding! If not, have fun and enjoy the time that you have with her and your friends and family. A Round of Applause! THAT IS BY FAR THE MOST IMPORTANT THING!!! :heart:
labpaw
labpaw

My Name : Alisa
My Pet(s) : Pooh, Colby, Gracie Lou, Abe, Stew, Web, Miss P, & Goo
Number of posts : 1061
Taurus Pig

http://www.teamblabador.com

Back to top Go down

Post by team sky Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:40 pm

I understand that it is not about winning it is about having fun. But, it is also nice to know if you go you are not going to be in the bottom of the class. Because all of our vehicles are diesels and at 4.15 a gallon it is nice to know if it is even worth looking at going to an event anyway. I mean I am sure if most of your dogs jumped under 20 feet (not that sky does) but you would not make a trip that is 7-20 hours to compete. And pay 100 dollars to enter the event.

I know I may take the wrong approach but I just look at the fact of it is alot!! of money to chase these events and if, for me, if we are going to be out-jumped by 4-5 feet it would not be worth spending $800 dollars to go. On the other hand if you know you won't be totally outclassed by the jumps it makes the events a whole! lot more fun. But, what do I know; besides, if we go it means a fun time with sky and the family!
team sky
team sky

Pisces Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by MollyBGoode Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:44 pm

Not all SRS events have Super Fly. I think the last event might have been the last one to qualify for the Crown Championship. You can check on the SRS website and the Splashdog website. Splashdog does the SRS events.
MollyBGoode
MollyBGoode

Number of posts : 328

Back to top Go down

Post by labpaw Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:09 pm

Sky is a great dog :heart: , and a great jumper. I think if you want to go, I don't see you having any trouble. swimming
labpaw
labpaw

My Name : Alisa
My Pet(s) : Pooh, Colby, Gracie Lou, Abe, Stew, Web, Miss P, & Goo
Number of posts : 1061
Taurus Pig

http://www.teamblabador.com

Back to top Go down

Post by crazyjackpack Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:13 pm

I thought about taking Gumpy and Sarah but the entry fee is what stoped us.. Because he has jumped over 20 feet he is also not amature.. Oh so Sad But really cool because he would have been the smallest on up there with all the big dogs.. Scream!!!
crazyjackpack
crazyjackpack

My Name : Aimee and Sarah
My Pet(s) : Forrest Gumpy (gone but not forgotten) ,, Jitter Bug,, Cpt. Jack,, Shella , Staccato (I'm not a JRT), Clay (my first jump will be in July.. we hope)
Location : Rest is peace sweat Gumpy, UAG Master Champ, Jr. Handler Champ and Featherweight champ.
Number of posts : 550
Aquarius Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:05 pm

SRS qualifing for the crown is complete for 2008. They already have the 12 dogs for the crown. Take the top 3 from 4 events. Last year there was a last chance qualifier at the crown location but did not see this for 2008. Sky would be considered a pro since sky has jumped over 18' at 2 events (does not matter whose event). Cost / entry fee is $125 last I saw. If you want to know your chances look at the past results on their web-site then you can see what past dogs jumped.

Dan & Missy

Back to top Go down

Post by bigonsmallies Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:52 pm

Just FYI,
The jumping dogs are an after-thought for the SRS. Their priority and focus is on the retriever trials.
Also, they will change the rules at a moments notice after you have driven several hours and hundreds of miles to get there.

We drove 9 hours only to find out that they changed the Super V rules to only allow 6 dogs (versus 12 in the rules on their web site) in the finals and they would be going up in 4 inch (versus 2 inch)increments with increased starting heights (6'6" versus 6'). I preregistered so they could have easily emailed me about the possible rule changes.
I would have never entered the event had I known the rules would be changed on the fly.
It was a total bust for them because most of the dogs couldn't even get the starting height at 6'6".

Good luck if you go!

Just know that the SRS is all about the "Retrievers".

Dan with Piper and Elvis
bigonsmallies
bigonsmallies

My Name : Dan Myers
My Pet(s) : Piper and Elvis
Number of posts : 23
Virgo Buffalo

Back to top Go down

Post by team sky Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:23 pm

Thanks for all the input everyone. SKY is first and foremost a wonderful companion and an excellent hunter (mostly upland). We are headed to Wisconsin this weekend to get her started on her UKC "Started Retriever" title which should be a breeze for her, knowing what the rules say. It may be more of a challenge for BT (my son) and me (Dad) as the handlers. Technically speaking she should be able to do this with no problems, 2 single water retrieves, and 2 single land retrieves, none over 70 yards away. That is what SKY does, but we will wait and see.

Once again thanks for all your input on the SRS. BT is hoping to get us their in for the 2009 qualifiers, which we "may" try. It will depend a lot on how SKY does the remainder of the year. I know that the gun shots will not bother her at all as she loves to hunt and practice with live or dummy rounds. When the shotgun comes out she is ready to go and charged up.
team sky
team sky

Pisces Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by ROCK Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:01 pm

team sky wrote:I know that the gun shots will not bother her at all as she loves to hunt and practice with live or dummy rounds. When the shotgun comes out she is ready to go and charged up.

Good Luck guys. Sounds like Sky will be bringing home that SR title. Yeah, Rock loves the gunfire too... it's amazing to watch how excited, driven and focused they get.

Barb and Rock Star
ROCK
ROCK

My Pet(s) : Rock, Toby, Ten
Number of posts : 517
Virgo Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down