ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Welcome to the ULTIMATE AIR DOGS Message Board!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Welcome to the ULTIMATE AIR DOGS Message Board!
ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Starting out with our puppy

4 posters

Go down

Starting out with our puppy Empty Starting out with our puppy

Post by hokieinmi Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:31 pm

Hi everyone!

We have a chocolate lab pup and would love to get him involved in Dock Diving. We were out watching at the Novi event and the kids loved it!

My question - he will be right at 6 months for the Mutt Strut event in May. Would you suggest bringing him out and letting him try it or should we wait until he is a little older. I don't know that we will have a lot of opportunities to practice with him before then so it would be pretty new - I don't want to overwhelm him. He has been getting in lots of practice leaping from our couch onto the kids bean bags though...

Susie

hokieinmi

Number of posts : 2
Sagittarius Cat

Back to top Go down

Starting out with our puppy Empty Re: Starting out with our puppy

Post by Milt Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:38 pm

Is he swimming yet? You need to get dogs in and swimming as early as 10 weeks. The younger the better. There are a few indoor pools you can take him to.
Milt
Milt

My Name : Milt
My Pet(s) : Sparky(RIP), Maximus, Nash, Flash & Allie
Number of posts : 1057
Aries Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by hokieinmi Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:21 pm

Not yet.... I just made an appointment to take him to an indoor pool this weekend. We'll see how he does there...

hokieinmi

Number of posts : 2
Sagittarius Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by MollyBGoode Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:00 pm

Start working on retrieves to build toy drive and get him used to the water as Milt mentioned. Rebel was swimming at 8 or 9 weeks (I was in the pool with him). We also had him at an event at 9 weeks and he had a great time. He didn't jump of course, but he got used to the crowds and pool.
MollyBGoode
MollyBGoode

Number of posts : 328

Back to top Go down

Post by AmphibiousAssaultDogTeam Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:13 pm

Our puppy competed at 6 months and 2 weeks, and went off the dock with barely any hesitation. It depends on the dog, but the more they are on the dock, the more they will like it. In fact, he competed in Novi for the first time in November at Novi, and wasnt anywhere NEAR the water or a dock and in Novi at the end of Feb he KNEW what the Pool was and I had a hard time walking by the pool with him, and he turned around and WON the NOVICE division with an 11'2" jump in finals! The swimming is VERY important. TOY DRIVE is best. We make the most headway on training in our yard though. Get him to sit and stay as you walk away, and chasing the toy, and the rest will follow. toss the toy away from you and have him run and jump at it just like there is water there.... then when on the dock, the focus is there. Good Luck
AmphibiousAssaultDogTeam
AmphibiousAssaultDogTeam

My Name : Norman Candi and Dakota Brown
My Pet(s) : Kota's Delight Kady Bark Kent Chaos
Number of posts : 206
Libra Horse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down