ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Welcome to the ULTIMATE AIR DOGS Message Board!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Welcome to the ULTIMATE AIR DOGS Message Board!
ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Michigan Family Pet Expo

+2
stephz
bbhetch
6 posters

Go down

Michigan Family Pet Expo Empty Michigan Family Pet Expo

Post by bbhetch Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:44 am

Milt,
Help, this will only be Sage's 2nd event (Labor Day weekend was the 1st), is there a place that I can find information about attending an event like this (ie, what to bring or anything else we need to know before we get there)?
Thank you,
Becky
bbhetch
bbhetch

My Name : Becky
My Pet(s) : Sage
Number of posts : 3
Gemini Goat

Back to top Go down

Michigan Family Pet Expo Empty Re: Michigan Family Pet Expo

Post by stephz Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:30 pm

Becky,
The indoor events are a lot different than the outdoor events. In addition to what you brought for the Labor Day event (crate, leash, water, etc) you will also want to make sure you bring towels to dry Sage off after jumping and I would also recommend bringing a sheet or blanket to cover her crate with. Not only does it help to keep some of the warmth in but it also helps keep people from walking up to the crate. I would also suggest bringing at least an extra pair of socks for you since your feet will get wet. The water is a lot colder than outdoors!!!!
Also - don't be discouraged if Sage doesn't jump. The indoor events are a lot harder on the dogs with all the noises and the lights.

I'm sure other people will have some more suggestions too!!!
stephz
stephz

My Name : Steph
My Pet(s) : Jinx
Number of posts : 679
Taurus Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by bbhetch Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:05 pm

Thank you for the information. Do you know if we should enter through the exhibitors entrance or the main entrance?
Becky
bbhetch
bbhetch

Gemini Goat

Back to top Go down

Post by stephz Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:10 pm

Becky,
I don't know. Milt or Brian will post all of the entrance info as soon as they know so I would keep checking the board today, tomorrow and Friday morning!!
stephz
stephz

My Name : Steph
My Pet(s) : Jinx
Number of posts : 679
Taurus Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by rocketdog Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:20 pm

Normally for Novi we enter at the rear of the building. You will have to pay for parking but there may be a list of registered people with the attendee at the rear exhibitor entrance and you shouldn't have to pay to enter. That part depends on what Milt has worked out with the promoter and who is working the entrance.

Bring towels for the dog - the water is cold so it's a good idea to dry them off after each splash. We use chamois because they are easy to wring out and work great without being used up like a towel can.

Bring a crate and something to cover it with. The indoor events are very crowded so it's a good idea to cover the crates to help keep the dog warm and to give them a feeling of being enclosed and safe instead of having people walking around them. The general public will often wander thru the crating area so the cover is also to protect them from sticking their fingers inside your crate and possibly having an incident.

Indoor events are often quite loud so don't be discouraged if your dog is not as comfortable with it as you think they will be. Some dogs have no issues, some have a really hard time and the only way to know is to attend an event and see.

Wear waterproof boots/shoes or bring a separate pair to use on the dock. When your feet get wet - and they will - they don't get a chance to dry at an indoor event. If you have a separate pair of dry shoes you can put on between splashes, you will be more comfortable. Also, bring a dry chang eof clothes - never know when YOU are the one who goes off the dock by accident and did I mention the water is cold... hopefully you won't need them but it's good insurance.

Don't be discouraged if your dog doesn't go off the dock like normal. The indoor lighting can cause them issues. Again, some dogs are fine with it, some not. You will know during practice how it's going to be. Most are pretty easy to work thru the lighting and are fine afterwards.

Most of all, have a good time and learn something new. Indoor events are fun once you get used to them.
rocketdog
rocketdog

My Name : Jason
My Pet(s) : Rocky, Newman, and Leo
Number of posts : 897
Sagittarius Snake

http://www.teamrocketdog.net

Back to top Go down

Post by bbhetch Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:05 am

Jason,
Thank you for the help, we're looking forward to being there.
Becky
bbhetch
bbhetch

Gemini Goat

Back to top Go down

Michigan Family Pet Expo Empty pet expo

Post by jason rule Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:58 pm

besides the items for the dogs do we need to bring chairs? Can we bring cooler with lunch in them? Michigan Family Pet Expo Icon_biggrin

jason rule

Aquarius Pig

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:10 am

Yes, it's a good idea to bring your own chairs. There are usually concessions open but we've always brought in our own lunches and snacks in a small to medium cooler.
Angela
Angela

Number of posts : 273

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:16 am

I know labs generally have stronger stomachs than GSDs, but you may want to be careful about which treats and snacks you choose to bring for your dog. Try to avoid anything new or too rich. Also, I recommend that you only give them water from home or bottled water from the store.
Angela
Angela

Number of posts : 273

Back to top Go down

Post by crazyjackpack Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:55 am

EAR PLUGS!!!!!
crazyjackpack
crazyjackpack

My Name : Aimee and Sarah
My Pet(s) : Forrest Gumpy (gone but not forgotten) ,, Jitter Bug,, Cpt. Jack,, Shella , Staccato (I'm not a JRT), Clay (my first jump will be in July.. we hope)
Location : Rest is peace sweat Gumpy, UAG Master Champ, Jr. Handler Champ and Featherweight champ.
Number of posts : 550
Aquarius Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down