ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Welcome to the ULTIMATE AIR DOGS Message Board!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Welcome to the ULTIMATE AIR DOGS Message Board!
ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oyster Festival

+8
flyinlab
labpaw
lc32549
Boomer
pjs
Kathleen & Frank
Milt
burra
12 posters

Go down

Hot News Oyster Festival

Post by burra Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:22 pm

Hi all!

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about Oyster Fest in NY. We're from PA and making a day trip, so any information regarding the following would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

1. how close is parking
2. if parking is far, can we drive up to the crating area to unload and then go park?
3. do we have to pay an admission fee?

I already know dogs aren't allowed in the festival itself, just the crating area and dock. So if we can drive in to unload we would like to bring Cocoa's metal kennel so we can leave her during breaks to get some food. If we can't drive in we'll have no crate or her soft sided crate, and she knows she can push on the door until the seam for the zipper rips and she's out! Total escape artist, along with master refrigerator opener! Oyster Festival 285524

Thanks again!
Tara and Cocoa
burra
burra

My Name : Tara
My Pet(s) : Cocoa aka "The Burra" PB kg19'3"" Cooper, and the rescue cats Angel, Oreo, Bee, Cuddles (RIP), Downy, and Allie Cat
Number of posts : 64
Taurus Cat

http://www.tarasarkpetservics.vpweb.com

Back to top Go down

Hot News Re: Oyster Festival

Post by Milt Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:27 pm

We will [post info as soon as we get it. Does anyone know about parking or crating?
Milt
Milt

My Name : Milt
My Pet(s) : Sparky(RIP), Maximus, Nash, Flash & Allie
Number of posts : 1057
Aries Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathleen & Frank Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:38 pm

Barb can probably provide more info. We were there last year and will be going again this year. If you were there early, street parking was available and they let us unload by the pool. As the event gets started, traffic gets heavy (of course I come from a small town so that's only my opinion). There was some parking closer to the pool, but they said we would not be able to get out until the event was over for the day. It was cool and rather windy last year, so come prepared. Maybe the dock will be set up with the wind at the dogs' tails instead of in their faces????? Woohoo!! The event borders the water, the sound??, but I think dogs are not allowed there. They brought in metal fencing to help secure our area. We had plenty of space.

The pool was close to train tracks, and we were parked on the other side, but not an issue. The food was great and shopping opportunities from crafters. Big crowd.

We take metal crates to all events, because we have an escape artist. We always have a collapsible hand truck with us, you are welcome to borrow.

Kathleen & Frank

Number of posts : 22
Libra Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by burra Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Thanks for the info! If we can park close enough we can use my old wagon to cart her metal crate. If not, we may be taking you up on that hand truck offer! I so wish she would just stay put in the soft sided crate, they are so much easier to transport!
Thanks again!
burra
burra

My Name : Tara
My Pet(s) : Cocoa aka "The Burra" PB kg19'3"" Cooper, and the rescue cats Angel, Oreo, Bee, Cuddles (RIP), Downy, and Allie Cat
Number of posts : 64
Taurus Cat

http://www.tarasarkpetservics.vpweb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by pjs Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:05 pm

I would like to go to the Oyster Festival but don't want to make the trip alone and no one wanting to go. I live outside Mt Jackson Va which is off of I-81 so it would be a good 7 hr trip and I'm not sure about driving thru or around NY. I know there was a girl named Debbie with two Duck Toll Ret. dogs at Fido's Festival that said she may be going and she lives on the eastern side of VA if I had an e-mail address for her I could see if she was going and meet up with her somewhere. Oh well we will be thinking of everyone enjoying themselves.

pjs

My Pet(s) : Dylan, Foster, Rusty
Number of posts : 12
Sagittarius Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathleen & Frank Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:04 pm

If you want more information about the oyster bay festival, go to theoysterfestival.org.

Kathleen & Frank

Libra Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Boomer Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:32 pm

are we going to need special passes to get in ?
Boomer
Boomer

My Name : Jen
My Pet(s) : Boomer ( yellow Lab ) Lady ( lab mix )
Number of posts : 13
Cancer Pig

Back to top Go down

Post by lc32549 Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:47 pm

from lc32549
linda

I dont not crate my lab. Can i bring my suv close to the dock area , so she can stay in the back during the breaks.this is my first time taking her to compete.

thanks for any info
linda and springer

lc32549

My Name : linda
My Pet(s) : yellow lab her name is springer
Number of posts : 8
Aries Buffalo

Back to top Go down

Post by labpaw Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:18 pm

I can only speak from last year, but no Oyster Festival Icon_neutral ... last year they made us move all the cars away from the venue and working out of the car would be hard to do due to the distance you'd have to go to get her.

I can't remember about passes. Oyster Festival Icon_rolleyes My febile mind escapes me.... Oyster Festival 915414
labpaw
labpaw

My Name : Alisa
My Pet(s) : Pooh, Colby, Gracie Lou, Abe, Stew, Web, Miss P, & Goo
Number of posts : 1061
Taurus Pig

http://www.teamblabador.com

Back to top Go down

Post by flyinlab Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:16 pm

I do beleive that you will be mailed passes to gain access to the fair grounds.
flyinlab
flyinlab

My Name : Steve
My Pet(s) : USJCH - Sophie Belle (pb 21'10") Harley Joe (Cheering section) Baylee Rose
Number of posts : 464
Leo Dragon

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sophie-Belle-Team-Flyinlab/1419864

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenz Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:59 am

Hey Everyone:

There is no fee to get into the Oyster Fest it is a street fair :-) There was lots of room for crating last year and GREAT food!!! The fair is right on the water (yes the LI Sound) so it is usually windy and cold in October so bring warm clothes!!! See everyone there :-)

Kim Oyster Festival 430401
Sevenz
Sevenz

My Name : Kim & Rob
My Pet(s) : Seven & Hanz
Number of posts : 155
Gemini Horse

http://www.freewebs.com/jumpngspseven

Back to top Go down

Post by AmphibiousAssaultDogTeam Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:04 pm

You have to eat a raw oyster to get in. Oyster Festival 927587 Oyster Festival 28289
AmphibiousAssaultDogTeam
AmphibiousAssaultDogTeam

My Name : Norman Candi and Dakota Brown
My Pet(s) : Kota's Delight Kady Bark Kent Chaos
Number of posts : 206
Libra Horse

Back to top Go down

Post by chaserdog Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:24 am

I second the GREAT food statement! Not every dog competition do you get to find yourself eating lobster for lunch.

Oyster Festival Icon_surprised Jen and Pre

Sevenz wrote:Hey Everyone:

There is no fee to get into the Oyster Fest it is a street fair :-) There was lots of room for crating last year and GREAT food!!! The fair is right on the water (yes the LI Sound) so it is usually windy and cold in October so bring warm clothes!!! See everyone there :-)

Kim Oyster Festival 430401
chaserdog
chaserdog

My Name : Jen Nannery
My Pet(s) : Border Collies Chase & PRE
Number of posts : 55
Libra Rat

http://www.chaserdog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ROCK Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:38 pm

Thanks everyone that posted info on the Oyster Fest. I've been so busy running around the US and Canada competing with Ten. Look forward to seeing everyone!!

Some Oyster Fest info and 2009 updates:

Parking/Unloading: Arrive early, to unload. Teams will be able to drive in right up to the site and unload. Once the Festival begins at 11 am, teams will have to unload at the entrance gate (which is in walking distance to site anyway) and will not be able to drive up to the site and unload. If you arrive early, before Festival hours parking is obtainable within a reasonable distance. The parking is real tough in this area once the Festval begins. Teams may want to consider using the shuttle service, if you're unable to find parking:

http://theoysterfestival.org/parking-shuttle-ground.htm

If you choose to pull in and park at Beekman Beach (within the Festival at the end of West End Avenue) you will not be able to get your vehicle out through the crowds until the close of the Festival each night-Sat & Sun. at 6 pm. There is NO fireworks this year... so the Festival will end earlier and it will be easier to get out this year.

Last year, most of us did, in fact, get lucky and were able to park our cars at the venue on the grass. That is not a guarantee.
-----------
Change to site: Zoo is not located by us. Replaced by 2 Vendors... one being a Marina with boats, so I'm not sure what amount space will be taken up by them. Although, there has been a building errected in the area, as well.
-----------
Plenty of room for crating and canopies.
----------
TBS TV Celebrity guest character dog "Scooby Doo" will be spending the weekend with us and Optimum this year.
---------
Email passes will go out to competitors 2 days prior to the Festival. This is an admission pass for your dog/s. Dogs are not allowed at the Festival. Festival admission is Free.
--------------
Linda, if you are in need of a crate. I have a near brand new crate you can use for the weekend. But, from reading your post, it seems that you're not wanting to crate your dog. Sending you a PM.

Jen, Lobster lunch again, yes!
-------------
More info to follow as it comes in.

Oyster Fest web site:

http://www.theoysterfestival.org/

Expect large crowds of over 200,000 + enjoying the Ultimate Air Dogs Oyster Festival Icon_biggrin and some Great Food.

Barb
ROCK
ROCK

My Pet(s) : Rock, Toby, Ten
Number of posts : 517
Virgo Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by flyinlab Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:53 pm

Hey Barb, Glad to see you have not fallen off the face of the earth. LOL

Unfortunatley Team FlyinLab will not be attending The Oyster Festival this year. Figures the only one in NY and we can't make it Oyster Festival Icon_sad Hope everyone has fun and we will be thinking of you guys.
flyinlab
flyinlab

My Pet(s) : USJCH - Sophie Belle (pb 21'10") Harley Joe (Cheering section) Baylee Rose
Leo Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by chaserdog Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:39 am

Barb,
Yeah for lobster lunch!! :-)
But sad to know we won't be by the Uni-cow again this year!! haha
Can't wait to see you, Rock and hopefully Ten???!!!!!!!!

Jen and Pre

ROCK wrote:Thanks everyone that posted info on the Oyster Fest. I've been so busy running around the US and Canada competing with Ten. Look forward to seeing everyone!!

Some Oyster Fest info and 2009 updates:

Parking/Unloading: Arrive early, to unload. Teams will be able to drive in right up to the site and unload. Once the Festival begins at 11 am, teams will have to unload at the entrance gate (which is in walking distance to site anyway) and will not be able to drive up to the site and unload. If you arrive early, before Festival hours parking is obtainable within a reasonable distance. The parking is real tough in this area once the Festval begins. Teams may want to consider using the shuttle service, if you're unable to find parking:

http://theoysterfestival.org/parking-shuttle-ground.htm

If you choose to pull in and park at Beekman Beach (within the Festival at the end of West End Avenue) you will not be able to get your vehicle out through the crowds until the close of the Festival each night-Sat & Sun. at 6 pm. There is NO fireworks this year... so the Festival will end earlier and it will be easier to get out this year.

Last year, most of us did, in fact, get lucky and were able to park our cars at the venue on the grass. That is not a guarantee.
-----------
Change to site: Zoo is not located by us. Replaced by 2 Vendors... one being a Marina with boats, so I'm not sure what amount space will be taken up by them. Although, there has been a building errected in the area, as well.
-----------
Plenty of room for crating and canopies.
----------
TBS TV Celebrity guest character dog "Scooby Doo" will be spending the weekend with us and Optimum this year.
---------
Email passes will go out to competitors 2 days prior to the Festival. This is an admission pass for your dog/s. Dogs are not allowed at the Festival. Festival admission is Free.
--------------
Linda, if you are in need of a crate. I have a near brand new crate you can use for the weekend. But, from reading your post, it seems that you're not wanting to crate your dog. Sending you a PM.

Jen, Lobster lunch again, yes!
-------------
More info to follow as it comes in.

Oyster Fest web site:

http://www.theoysterfestival.org/

Expect large crowds of over 200,000 + enjoying the Ultimate Air Dogs Oyster Festival Icon_biggrin and some Great Food.

Barb
chaserdog
chaserdog

My Name : Jen Nannery
My Pet(s) : Border Collies Chase & PRE
Number of posts : 55
Libra Rat

http://www.chaserdog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Boomer Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:10 pm

i have been looking at the weather and it doesn't look good ....what will happen in the case of bad weather?
Boomer
Boomer

My Name : Jen
My Pet(s) : Boomer ( yellow Lab ) Lady ( lab mix )
Number of posts : 13
Cancer Pig

Back to top Go down

Post by ROCK Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:40 am

hah Steve, no I didn't fall off the face of the earth... but nearly, I've been travelling so much Oyster Festival Icon_biggrin See you guys around soon. Jen, Ten is coming on Sunday Oyster Festival Icon_cheers can't wait.

Jen.... The Oyster Festival will go on rain or shine. We're all hoping the rains hurry up and pass through here already! I will have a few canopies on hand to keep us drier, in case. Either way, I'm sure most of the dogs won't mind Oyster Festival Icon_bounce

Barb
ROCK
ROCK

My Pet(s) : Rock, Toby, Ten
Number of posts : 517
Virgo Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Milt Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:51 pm

We are jumping no matter what the weather. Come on out and jump those dogs! See you guys if you can make it!
Milt
Milt

Aries Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Milt Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:25 am

Boy did we ever pick a good time to come to this area. Yankees are playing in the City and jumping dogs in Oyster Bay!
Milt
Milt

Aries Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by flyinlab Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:59 am

Good luck everyone, Dress warm and dry those pups. We will be thinking of you today. Have fun. See everyone next weekend in CT.
flyinlab
flyinlab

Leo Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Milt Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:56 am

Saturday wasn't too bad of a day for jumping, a little cold but no rain. We had over 20 teams brave the weather and come to jump. Great Festival with all sorts of seafood vendors selling almost anything you want to eat. Beautiful area with lots of huge homes on the Bay. Weather next weekend is going to be mid 60's!!
Milt
Milt

Aries Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Milt Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:28 pm

Miserable day today but we got the splashes in and the finals. Rooney the Chessie won the Ultimate finals with a jump of 22-8 against a 30mph wind and rain. Guy won the Senior finals with 17-7.
Milt
Milt

Aries Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathleen & Frank Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:05 pm

Finally getting a chance to say thank you to Milt and Brian for letting us get our jumps in at the Oyster Festival. The weather was wicked on Sunday, but Nicky (Mr. Nick) didn't care.

Also, thank you to Kim and Rob, I think Kim's fingers nearly froze off!

And, thanks to Rob for sending us a link to find Nick's picture from the leader. If anybody wants to see it, it is www.theleaderonline.com then click on the oyster festival and go to the bottom of the page.

And, a special thanks to Barb for all the cool stuff.

Hope to see you all in Hartford.

Kathleen & Frank
Nick's family

Kathleen & Frank

Libra Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down