ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Welcome to the ULTIMATE AIR DOGS Message Board!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Welcome to the ULTIMATE AIR DOGS Message Board!
ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Durable frisbee

+7
Angela
TurboToller
llcnet
Kel
Intellabs
Rajah
montanasprincess
11 posters

Go down

Durable frisbee Empty Durable frisbee

Post by montanasprincess Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:16 pm

Any disc doggers out there or anyone else that has a durable frisbee.... can you tell me where and what type of frisbee will hold up to a large dog's teeth? we were out the other night using our Frisbee we got at the UKC Premier and it did not last more than 5 minutes.

montanasprincess

My Name : Karman
My Pet(s) : Montana & Sampson
Number of posts : 33
Libra Goat

Back to top Go down

Durable frisbee Empty Re: Durable frisbee

Post by Rajah Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:31 pm

Either Jawz discs or the Hero discs. Either one, depending on how much you use them, can last weeks.
Rajah
Rajah

My Name : Rajah's dad
My Pet(s) : Rajah (APBT), Cody, Phoenix, Tucson, & Rumor (GSPs)
Number of posts : 512
Aries Snake

http://www.flyinghighk9s.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Intellabs Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:36 pm

I have found the Jawz frisbees are quite durable
Intellabs
Intellabs

My Name : Roger
My Pet(s) : Katie, Koko, Oberon, Kota, Sugar, Knitrous and Hershey
Number of posts : 709
Cancer Goat

Back to top Go down

Post by Kel Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:05 pm

Hyperflite Jawz last a whole heck of a lot longer than weeks... try months/years. They are definitely not chew toys, though. However, they will last for years if used as an "interactive" toy, as they should be. They will also not wear down your dog's teeth as normal plastic discs will.

Hero disc have some good quality, durable discs as well... but nothing compares to Jawz when it comes to strength.
Kel
Kel

My Name : "The Girl with the GSDs"
My Pet(s) : Aro, Scot, Jack Tar, Baako & Kon
Number of posts : 1673
Gemini

http://www.frozenfirek9s.com/Joomla/

Back to top Go down

Post by llcnet Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:39 pm

http://www.jefferspet.com/ssc/product.asp?CID=0&mscssid=55XEDA7AB3KL9L0DQPU6DRM0K9LQ53SB

Hyperflite's Jawz disc is the best!

I bought a large stack of Hero discs and love them. My lab puts holes in the Hero discs, but they do last a while.
My Aussie destroys the Hero discs in 3 or 6 practices.

I bit the bullet and ordered 2 Glow-In-The-Dark Jawz discs and they are still flying without a single hole. It has been a good month.

In the description on the Jeffer's website they state that it is a Pup Jawz disc but it is the standard size. The Jeffer's price right now
is $12.95 compared to $15.95 on the Hyperflite website.
llcnet
llcnet

My Name : Linda
My Pet(s) : Dusty
Number of posts : 211
Gemini Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Rajah Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:53 pm

Kel wrote:Hyperflite Jawz last a whole heck of a lot longer than weeks... try months/years. They are definitely not chew toys, though. However, they will last for years if used as an "interactive" toy, as they should be. They will also not wear down your dog's teeth as normal plastic discs will.

Yes Kel, you are right, they easily last months as long as you don't allow them to "chew" them. We still have our original Jawz we bought last year and have since then used some Superhero discs. Both are great and will have TONS more use, but the Jawz are a little heavier and feel like they will last longer than the Hero discs.
Rajah
Rajah

Aries Snake

Back to top Go down

Post by TurboToller Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:02 pm

I still have some Jawz that I bought when I first started competing 3 years ago they are very durable.I generally do not compete with them except when doing toss and fetch in really windy conditions.I like to use them for bite and tug training.They don't have real good hang time due to the heavy weight and slightly smaller diameter.If you want a really cool looking durable disc check out the new Ashley Whippet fundraiser Ice Dies at Herodiscusa.com
Chip

Last edited by TurboToller on Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
TurboToller
TurboToller

My Name : Chip
My Pet(s) : Crash,Seeker,Reveille,Wyatt,Sully,Vane and Phate
Number of posts : 122
Cancer Snake

Back to top Go down

Post by llcnet Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:22 pm

Chip, you are like a dealer on the playground Exclamation I went out and took a look at the Ice Dye discs...
I might have to get a second job to support my dog toy habit!
llcnet
llcnet

My Name : Linda
My Pet(s) : Dusty
Number of posts : 211
Gemini Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:03 am

Aro typically snaps regular toy discs into multiple pieces in a single catch. Baako is about the same. Jack Tar is probably the easiest of the three on Kel's Jawz discs. Here is one photo of him (this photographer got some great shots!) doing what they do to those discs Scream!!! with every catch:
http://key4prints.com/#/gallery/md-af09-aero-baako-jaktar/tlk1005mdaufest09-060709-13-41-45/
The Jawz are definitely worth the extra $.
Angela
Angela

Number of posts : 273

Back to top Go down

Post by SKY Sr. Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:08 pm

Kong makes an excellent flying disc that we have been using for over a year now with our to labs. Even with some tug of war between the two the disc is still in useable good condition. I believe we bought it at PetsMart. It is not however a regulation disc by any means as it is quite heavy.
SKY Sr.
SKY Sr.

My Name : Brian L. Butler
My Pet(s) : UUJCH USUV Santa Fe's Blonde Diesel aka "SKY" 3, Sauk River's Pointing Star - aka Star, and Dottie
Number of posts : 272
Scorpio Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Intellabs Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:52 pm

We buy the jawz at pet smart and petco and they have lasted over a year and still fly good.

Sometimes though I have noticed Oberons and Koko's gums or teeth bleed from a hard impact catch. Anyone else have this happen? I imagine the impact would be less if I was better at throwing so the dog has to chase it to grab it rather then have the frisbee come down and impact the running dog.

We switched to a cloth one, (nylon material) thats flys great but is softer. Oberon still prefers the jawz.
Intellabs
Intellabs

My Name : Roger
My Pet(s) : Katie, Koko, Oberon, Kota, Sugar, Knitrous and Hershey
Number of posts : 709
Cancer Goat

Back to top Go down

Post by Rajah Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:53 pm

Intellabs wrote:Sometimes though I have noticed Oberons and Koko's gums or teeth bleed from a hard impact catch. Anyone else have this happen?

Imagine if you are just using a typical plastic disc. It would probably be worse.
Rajah
Rajah

Aries Snake

Back to top Go down

Post by TurboToller Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:25 pm

llcnet wrote:Chip, you are like a dealer on the playground Exclamation I went out and took a look at the Ice Dye discs...
I might have to get a second job to support my dog toy habit!
Thats funny stuff Linda. I actually just ordered three of those because the proceeds go to a good cause and they look really cool.I probably will put them in my wall display I'm working on and never even use them though.Also buying them gets you entered in a drawing to win a boatload of Hero gear.
Since there is no UAD in the area this weekend I expect to see everyone in Clarkston this weekend.Novice ,Junior and Pro divisions and cool prizes.
Chip
P.S. There is an excellent discussion on this subject with advice from some very good handlers going on right now at K9athlete.com

Last edited by TurboToller on Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Additional babbling)
TurboToller
TurboToller

My Name : Chip
My Pet(s) : Crash,Seeker,Reveille,Wyatt,Sully,Vane and Phate
Number of posts : 122
Cancer Snake

Back to top Go down

Post by Sara Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:30 am

Man I wish I could be in Clarkston this weekend, but I'm riding in a horse show and there's no way I could back out.......
Sara
Sara

My Name : Sara
My Pet(s) : Oskar, Carly, Fiona
Number of posts : 791
Scorpio Goat

http://www.freewebs.com/oskarboogerman

Back to top Go down

Post by rocketdog Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:37 pm

We use the frisbees from Old Navy. They are sturdy and fly great, are soft enough that Rocky can fold it in half if he wants, and they usually end up dry rotting before he is able to do any damage to them. We had one last 2 years even being left in the yard all day and over the winter. If you hit the sales right they are only $2.50 each. I think I have 5 of them in a drawer in case we lose one. They aren't "regulation" discs but for practice they are easy on the teeth and easy on the wallet. We have a couple Jaws discs that we got at an event a couple years ago that we would only use for events. Rocky LOVES his Old Navy disc! Even Leo likes to ctch it once in a while.
rocketdog
rocketdog

My Name : Jason
My Pet(s) : Rocky, Newman, and Leo
Number of posts : 897
Sagittarius Snake

http://www.teamrocketdog.net

Back to top Go down

Post by JT Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:26 pm

mikey prefers the 5 gallon bucket lid it holds up it just takes a little to figure out how to throw it. i also use inova disck golf disk they run 5-8 bucks for a cheep one but they seem to hold up well to the abuse
JT
JT

My Name : jamie
My Pet(s) : mikey pb 18'6 uv5'6 , mavrick pb 16 something over 19 when he decides to jump. and Roxi 4 y old GSP she just cheers the boys on. and timber comming in 2010 to a dock near you
Number of posts : 406
Capricorn Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Kel Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:34 am

Of course the dog who also plays with a bowling ball/pins would prefer the 5 gallon bucket lid! Lol. Go figure. Snickering
Kel
Kel

My Name : "The Girl with the GSDs"
My Pet(s) : Aro, Scot, Jack Tar, Baako & Kon
Number of posts : 1673
Gemini

http://www.frozenfirek9s.com/Joomla/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down