ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Welcome to the ULTIMATE AIR DOGS Message Board!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Welcome to the ULTIMATE AIR DOGS Message Board!
ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Obedience Trial Questions

+2
Oldieglo
Phoenix
6 posters

Go down

Obedience Trial Questions Empty Obedience Trial Questions

Post by Phoenix Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:44 pm

Ok.....So I am thinking about entering Annie next weekend in our first obedience trial! EEE GATS! Anyway I am totaly confused how this all works.

First what "obsticles" are part of the Novice Obedience class?

Second I would assume I would enter Novice A as I have never run an obedience trial and Annie has no title?

And third can I then earn my title in Novice A or do you have to have a qualifying score in Novice A, B, and C to get the title?

I am just sooo dag nab confused!

Oh and this is UKC trial. Thanks from anyone who does obedience in advance for their help!
Phoenix
Phoenix

My Name : Beth
My Pet(s) : Phoenix,Rajah,Cody, Tucson, Rumor
Number of posts : 1001
Sagittarius Dog

http://flyinghighk9s.weebly.com/index.html

Back to top Go down

Obedience Trial Questions Empty Re: Obedience Trial Questions

Post by Oldieglo Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:37 am

Well I have done lots of obedience in the past. AKC and UKC. I am sure things have changed somewhat. Have you gone through a training class? In Novice A if it has not changed, you heel your dog on and off leash,there is a recall and also a sit stay and then a down stay with you across the room. It is quite hard to explain if you have never done it before. You should really watch how it is done or find someone in your area to show you the procedures. Good Luck anyway. Some Amer.Pit Bull Terriers are very stubborn. I do know of some people who have done real well with them.
Oldieglo
Oldieglo

My Name : Gloria Royal
My Pet(s) : two grand daughters [Chessies Meadow & Sage] Shari's dogs
Number of posts : 226
Aries Pig

Back to top Go down

Post by Phoenix Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:49 am

Gloria thank you for the response. I appreciate it. Annie and I have been in obedience class for the last 6 weeks or so. She is very very good at it and LOVES every minute of it. I read back through the rules and the only one I am concerned about is heeling off leash. We will have to really work on that over the next week and a half. :0) But it never hurts to try and see how we do!
Phoenix
Phoenix

Sagittarius Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:44 am

Not sure if you found the answer to your Q about titles. But you may earn your Novice title with A or B (or a combination of the two) qualifying scores. These must be earned at three different UKC sanctioned trials under at least two different judges. And generally, if both you and your dog are green like you are, then you will show her under A (neither of you have earned an UD in any org; you are not a professional or amateur obedience instructor, a professional handler/ trainer, a licensed judge). It appears C division is for those times that you wish to do Novice without it counting toward anything (like when your dog has already earned its UD).
Angela
Angela

Number of posts : 273

Back to top Go down

Post by Kel Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:54 am

Here are the Novice exercises for UKC obed:

1. Honor: dog holds a down stay, off leash, with you across the ring, while another team completes their heel on lead and figure 8 exercises (in order to provide a distraction). You'll then be asked to return to your dog, after the Figure 8 is finished for the other team, going around behind your dog and back into heel position.

2. Heel on leash and Figure 8: pretty self explanatory. Just kidding!

3. Stand for exam: dog is left in a stand-stay, off leash, handler at a distance of approx 6ft away (try to go no less than 6 and no more than 10). The judge will "go over" your dog, which usually just includes them running their hand over the dog's back and sometimes down their leg(s). You'll then be told to return to your dog.

4. Heel off leash: same as the heel on leash, just minus the leash. Just kidding!

5. Recall over high jump: dog is left in a sit stay 8ft+ away from and facing the jump. Two stewards stand facing the jump, at approx arm's length, to serve as a distraction. Once you leave your dog and go to a distance of 8ft+ past the jump, turn and face your dog. You'll then call your dog (be sure to only use one command, like "Annie, come" or "Annie, jump/over." If you say "come, jump" or the like you will be faulted. Your dog should come to you, going over the jump, and sit within easy reach facing you in a sit. Then you'll be asked to finish your dog, at which time they should go back into heel position at your command (using one of the two finish styles).

6. Group Long Sit: Starting with the dogs in heel position, lined up together, you'll be asked to leave your dog (leave your leash and armband behind your dog), and go to the opposite side of the ring. After one minute has passed, the judge will signal you to return, at which point you go back around and into heel position.

That's a pretty basic run-down... you can view more details here: http://www.ukcdogs.com/WebSite.nsf/Rules/DEObediNoviceclassesRulesandexercises

Annie would also be entered in Novice A. She can earn her title competing only in Novice A. However, if you start showing another of your pups, and either dog earns their UCD before the other, the second dog would then need to be moved to the B class. You can find more details on the Novice A, B, and C divisions here: http://www.ukcdogs.com/WebSite.nsf/Rules/DEObediRulesapplyingtolicensedobedienc

Hope that helps. Sweet!

Last edited by Kel on Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kel
Kel

My Name : "The Girl with the GSDs"
My Pet(s) : Aro, Scot, Jack Tar, Baako & Kon
Number of posts : 1673
Gemini

http://www.frozenfirek9s.com/Joomla/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kel Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:59 am

Angela wrote:(neither of you have earned an UD in any org; you are not a professional or amateur obedience instructor, a professional handler/ trainer, a licensed judge). It appears C division is for those times that you wish to do Novice without it counting toward anything (like when your dog has already earned its UD).

I think my mom meant to write "CD", rather than "UD." Sweet! Although, a dog that has earned it's UCDX, UUD, UOCH, UDX, OTCH or any other org's or UKC's equivalent or higher title(s) than UCD, can still compete in the Novice C division. Any dog that has not earned a UCD, however, should compete in either A or B division.

Also, Novice C scores do at least count towards one thing... UKC Obedience All Star points. Sweet!
Kel
Kel

Gemini

Back to top Go down

Post by Phoenix Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:21 pm

I think I understand it now! Thanks for all the help! Well we will see how it goes next weekend!
Phoenix
Phoenix

Sagittarius Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:35 pm

Best of luck, Beth!
PMing you about the WP harness.
Angela
Angela

Back to top Go down

Post by Jumpin' Duracell Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:21 pm

Novice includes the recall over a high jump? Is that the same for AKC as well as the UKC?
Jumpin' Duracell
Jumpin' Duracell

My Name : Jessica
My Pet(s) : UNJ Adamczyk's Copper Top, Sir Edwood Scout Adamczyk (I don't jump... yet!)
Number of posts : 169
Taurus Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by Rajah Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:47 am

Kel, approx. how high is the "high jump"? We were working with her and just threw together a makeshift jump. I'd rather be TOO high for our jump than too low but didn't know for sure how high it would be.
Rajah
Rajah

My Name : Rajah's dad
My Pet(s) : Rajah (APBT), Cody, Phoenix, Tucson, & Rumor (GSPs)
Number of posts : 512
Aries Snake

http://www.flyinghighk9s.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:51 am

Kel is at work this morning, but this is from the UKC rules. I wouldn't have Annie practice at a height too different than her obedience level, unless you have more than one jump one on hand and at least one is close to the "correct" height.
Normal jump height and distance.

1. High and bar jumps.
    A dog shall jump the height of its withers, except that no dog shall
    jump less than 8 inches or more than 24 inches. Height at withers shall
    be rounded down to the closest even number for the purpose of setting
    jump height. For example, an 18-inch dog shall jump 18 inches but a
    17½-inch dog shall jump 16 inches.

2. Broad jump. A
    dog shall jump a distance that is twice the height of its withers,
    except that no dog shall jump less than 16 inches or more than 56
    inches. Height at withers shall be rounded down to the closest whole
    number before being multiplied by two for the purpose of setting jump
    distance. For example, an 18- inch dog shall jump 36 inches (18 x 2)
    but a 17½-inch dog shall jump 34 inches (17 x 2).

Beth, there are special differences for veteran dogs and for certain breeds, but you do not need to worry about that, since Annie isn't one of them.

Angela
Angela

Back to top Go down

Post by Phoenix Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:53 am

Thanks Angela. Oh and thanks Jeff for asking this I hadn't even thought about it! Ultimate Air Elation Thus why we make a good team! lol
Phoenix
Phoenix

Sagittarius Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Kel Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:12 pm

Jumpin' Duracell wrote:Novice includes the recall over a high jump? Is that the same for AKC as well as the UKC?

No, unlike UKC, AKC does not have any jumping in their Novice class. The recall for AKC Novice is a straight recall across the ring, off leash, but with no jumps, and no steward distractions.
Kel
Kel

Gemini

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down