ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Welcome to the ULTIMATE AIR DOGS Message Board!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Welcome to the ULTIMATE AIR DOGS Message Board!
ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question for the group

5 posters

Go down

Question for the group Empty Question for the group

Post by mschwind Sat May 09, 2009 1:09 pm

Hi there. I am new to the group and to dog jumping. I am the proud owner, well I guess I should say I am proudly owned by, a black lab who loves to dock jump. He has never done it in competitions but when we go to my inlaws we can not keep him from jumping off the dock. He would do it all day long if we would let him. My question though is, last year after his first day of jumping and then again this year after his first jump of the year, I noticed that his tail looked funny. It will come out about 2 inches from his backside and just drop. You can tell it is very sore as he has a hard time sitting for a couple of days after. Is this a normal thing or is it something I need to have checked out? I have racked my brain trying to figure out if he could have hurt it on something else as he is a very active dog but have come up with nothing. And I would hate to have to take the dock jumping away from him but hate seeing him hurting like that when ever he jumps.
Thanks in advance for any helpful comments I can get.

Newbie and hopefully future dog jumping friend.

Michele and Hunter
mschwind
mschwind

My Name : Michele
My Pet(s) : Hunter
Number of posts : 3
Scorpio Monkey

Back to top Go down

Question for the group Empty Re: Question for the group

Post by jtallen Sat May 09, 2009 1:56 pm

Hey Michele,
Welcome to UAD and the sport of dock jumping.
It is called cold tail. Some dogs are more prone to it than others. No one has found a definative cause or a way to prevent it. It is not life threatening, but it does cause the dog discomfort.
There have been postings about it on the forum before, so if you search "cold tail" you can find more info about it.
We have several vets in UAD and they have posted ideas about the problem.
jtallen
jtallen

My Pet(s) : Rogan, Molly, Maggie, Moose, Cracker
Number of posts : 1343
Leo Cat

http://www.teamsecondchance.net

Back to top Go down

Post by mschwind Sat May 09, 2009 2:18 pm

Thank you so much! And thank you for such a quick reply. I will search it now and see what I can find.
I beleive I seen Rogan jump at the Birch Run show a while back ago. What an amazing dog. Watching them jump really made me want to get hunter into this.

Michele
mschwind
mschwind

Scorpio Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Laura Sat May 09, 2009 10:13 pm

My Labrador gets cold tail. I try to dry her off, and to keep her back warm. This seems to help. She didn't get cold tail at the winter jumps.
Laura
Laura

My Name : Laura
My Pet(s) : Mollibigolli & Thunder Myst Drew's All In
Number of posts : 52
Leo Snake

http://greatamericandogs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by montanasprincess Mon May 11, 2009 4:29 pm

We had a problem one time in the winter but have followed some guidelines and so far so good. Suggestions that have helped are: dry dog well between events, keep them walking or moving for a little while after their jumps instead of crating or lying down, we use a jacket in the winter to keep warm as well. Also- we use salmon oil - we have heard other people say they use this and so we tried it as well. For more information about salmon oil you can view the link below in my signature.

Good luck!

montanasprincess

My Name : Karman
My Pet(s) : Montana & Sampson
Number of posts : 33
Libra Goat

Back to top Go down

Post by mschwind Sun May 17, 2009 2:30 pm

I read a bunch of the articles from before and am definitely going to try the fish/salmon oil for him. It sounds to me as if it has several added benefits along with helping with the cold tail. I think we will be going back up to the lake next weekend and I am sure there will be no keeping him out of the water, especially now that the whole dock is in!!

Michele
mschwind
mschwind

Scorpio Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by flyinlab Sun May 17, 2009 9:18 pm

Welcome Michele to UAD!

We have had an experience with cold tail. Sophie looked so uncomfortable for a couple of days. We also try to keep her as dry as possible during the colder months. We also use a fleece banket and wrap it around her to keep her warm. I don't ever want her to go through that again.
flyinlab
flyinlab

My Name : Steve
My Pet(s) : USJCH - Sophie Belle (pb 21'10") Harley Joe (Cheering section) Baylee Rose
Number of posts : 464
Leo Dragon

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sophie-Belle-Team-Flyinlab/1419864

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down